Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id: Rage "On a Whole New Level"

The Todd Hollenshead Interview on Kikizo hears from the id Software CEO (with an assist from designer/marine biologist Matt Hooper) on a variety of topics, including Rage, engine technology, platform support, and more. At one point a question about DOOM 3's shortcomings inspires a defense of the game (thanks Eurogamer), as Todd points out that sales-wise, "It's the most successful game in id's history." Along the way, Matt talks about Rage and the Tech 5 engine, apparently fearless about raising expectations:

The things we're doing with id Tech 5 have really opened things up design-wise. I work closely with Tim Willits who's the creative director on id Tech 5 and the guiding force on Rage, and we're going to do some things which I think are just going to blow people way - it's just going to be on a whole new level. Things that you have never seen in any game before, some things borrowed from different games, really action focused. Just as a designer we can do things in these giant worlds and with these vehicle systems and still maintain the things that people love id for, which is that control and the FPS action combat, but now we can introduce all these other elements, so it's really opened things up. On the design side, we've never had more energy, it just makes us giddy to be able to use this tech.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

23. ... Jul 8, 2008, 16:46 theyarecomingforyou

Gameplay-wise I always felt that Painkiller was more of a spiritual successor to games like Doom and Quake rather Doom3/Quake 4 were.
Yeah, the original Painkiller at least - it was definitely in the vein of Wolf3D/Doom. I also agree that Quake 4 was decent, though uninspiring. The weapons felt great but outdoor scenes were limited by the engine and the multiplayer was soulless being a simple Q3 port (without the fun).

Just to make it clear - I don't think Doom 3 was terrible but average at best, hence disappointing for a game hyped as a AAA.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo