Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

In-Game Ad Survey

IGA Worldwide announces the results of a survey conducted by Nielson that they claim indicates consumers like in-game advertising, a surprising conclusion that's the latest example of why folks distrust statistics:

One of the most important factors confirmed by the Study is that most consumers reacted positively to in-game ads: 82 percent felt games were just as enjoyable with ads as without. In addition, there was an average 61 percent increase in consumers’ favorable opinions of products advertised in-game post-play.

“The growth of in-game advertising, both current and projected, makes it an attractive medium for brands looking to reach hard-to-reach consumers,” said Elizabeth Harz, EA’s Senior Vice President of Global Media Sales. “This study solidifies what many in the industry have known for a long time: in-game ads are effective and well-received by the gaming community.”

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 17, 2008, 13:47 Shadowcat

Glad to see lots of sane voices in this thread.

PropheT, sorry to pick on the single instance where you tolerate them, but:
driving games where the billboards along the road have real products for example. They're not really selling you anything as much as just making the game world seem more realistic though
"They're not really selling you anything" is ludicrous! of course they're selling you something. It's a god-damned advertisement. That is its one and only purpose.

There are plenty of other things they could do that no sane person wants that would make the game world seem more realistic. Like making you lose the rally because you had to stop to fix a random flat tyre. Or making you live through the driver's entire pre-race day in real-time.

I'm sure everyone can think of many other unpleasant aspects of day-to-day reality that we don't want cropping up in games (even when they're simulations).

Allowing this crap will never EVER lead to anything good. The interests of the advertisers and the interests of the gamer DO NOT COINCIDE. It's as simple as that.

As to the staff at Neilson: Please please please kill yourselves as soon as possible. I hear that 82 percent of people who bathed with wild crocodiles had absolutely nothing bad to say about the experience afterwards, and many of the participants found the experience highly satisfying.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 13:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo