Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Molyneux: PC Gaming "Huge Tragedy"

Molyneux despairs at tragic state of PC gaming on GamesIndustry.biz quotes the Lionhead designer on his complaints that a lack of innovation is to blame for declines in PC gaming:

"I think it's a huge tragedy. I mean, you might as well say PC gaming is World of Warcraft and The Sims... The weird thing is everyone's got a PC, they're just not buying software for it," commented Molyneux.

And while many developers are chasing the casual PC gaming market as the next big thing, Molyneux believes it's already suffering from repetition and a lack of imagination.

"There's an enormous amount of gaming happening with PopCap, Big Fish and Reflective.

"The fascinating thing is when they first started, all these games came out like Peggle and Mystery Files and Alice Greensleeves and Diner Dash, and it felt quite exciting. There was a lot of innovation going on. Okay, there weren't great graphics, but there was innovation.

"In my view, that has completely stopped. They're doing the same game over and over again with a different wrapper. It's like a mini-universe in itself which is emulating what's happening in our industry," he added.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 11:18 4D-Boxing

Very true..

"I think it's a huge tragedy. I mean, you might as well say PC gaming is World of Warcraft and The Sims... The weird thing is everyone's got a PC, they're just not buying software for it," commented Molyneux...."

Really is it a coincidence that those are the only game I ever see advertising on TV for? The rest of PC games get tv advertising only once a onsole version is released & but the advertisement focuses on the console versions.

If these guys do not know how to market their software plus release lets be honest....Even CoD4 which a considered by msot as the best game of 2007 does not compare to some older titles mentioned on this site all the time...SS2, Deus...the multuplayer gets old very fast on top of that even withthe hardcore mode. We had Cliffy not long ago comparing sales of Geras on 360 to PC sales...well as a PC gamer I really don't get how Gears managed to get so many great reviews..it's just Max Pain2142 with a cover system. EPic & CLiffyB have made enough PC games to know that PC gamers are not looking for the same experience as Console gamers in some cases yes but often no... Almost done Gears PC on hardcore never even bothered with the casual setting because the game is beyond easy...the only challenge is is patience to go through all the waves if you you don't neutralize the grub holes..

Even bioshock got dumbed down so much that once you got past your first big daddy ...there wasno challenge it was all abou tthe story.

I'm repeating rants I've posted before ...but these devs need to get a wake up call or leave room for those who can improve past concepts or innovate!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo