Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

id Mobile Formed

id Software and Fountainhead Partner to Create id Mobile has word that id Software is expanding upon it's mobile gaming initiative with a dedicated mobile development arm, to be headed by Fountainhead Entertainment Founder and former Director of Business Development at id Software, Katherine Anna Kang, who is also the wife of id co-owner John Carmack. Carmack on id Mobile, Crap Games, and Why iPod Sucks is a Q&A with Mr. Carmack about the news, here's a bit that explains that this is in part a way of hedging against a paradigm shift in the gaming market:

It's been an interesting journey to get here in that we didn't start off with some grand strategic planning where we decided this was going to be really important. It all started when I got a cell phone and thought the games on it were really bad and we could do a lot better. That led to Doom RPG, which was a big success. Then we followed up with Orcs & Elves and now Orcs & Elves II coming out... By testing the waters like this we've found out it's a viable business right now, we're doing good business, the products are successful and profitable, we've got a plan laid out for a bunch of new things we want to be doing, but I think there's really some significant potential.

The worst, most pessimistic case is that we could carry on as we're doing right now, doing successful games and having fun with all of this, but I think over the course of the next five years or so there's the possibility that the mobile gaming market could wind up becoming significantly larger than some of the traditional markets. There are 10 to 20 times as many mobile phones as there are personal computers and 100 times as many as there are console platforms. As these things evolve into devices more like the media powerhouses we're used to developing for, there's a possibility we could have a breakout success there. I think if we go into this thing thinking we'll do our best, we'll be successful, then we may be positioned for something that could be a really significant tipping point some time in the next five years or so. Mobile gaming really could take off.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. id Mobile Formed Nov 16, 2007, 07:37 dryden555

I suppose phones like the iphone makes better games possible, but I'm not convinced we will be gatting anything more than variations on "bejewled" and "pacman"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo