Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of Territory Orange Box Deactivations

The Consumerist has word that owners of The Orange Box are having their games deactivated if they own a copy intended for a territory other than where they are located (thanks Mike Martinez and Digg). The games activated properly, but after about a week, Steam began returning "incorrect territory" errors in these cases, surprising many users who purchased online or even in local stores, unaware their copy was intended for another region. This is leaving impacted customers in the often difficult position of seeking refunds for opened software.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: I feared something like this... Oct 26, 2007, 08:57 MMORPGHoD

Valve isn't the only company to stop people from doing this.

Except steam has the power to turn your purchased software into vapor, where a purchased PC DVD import hasn't been controled to that degree. Valve has alot of leverage with this system and I'm sure this won't the last time they use it.

If I buy an import copy of the Witcher at gogamer, I sure hell wouldn't want to be treated like a pirate. In a steam only world, that can certainly happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo