Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heavy Duty Changes

The Heavy Duty Q&A on StrategyCore.co.uk offers a nostalgic look back at E3, where they spoke with Peter Winichenko about Primal Software's upcoming action strategy mech game. Topics include the switch in focus to strategy, the game engine, environments, RPG elements, plans for a demo, and more. This genre switch is still apparently sinking in, as the Heavy Duty Website still calls this an action game, but the release date for the project has been updated somewhere along the way, our last notice of this was when the game was delayed from Q4 2005 to Q4 2006 (story), but the release date now reads Q4 2007. Here are a couple of pertinent questions and answers about strategy behind moving away from action:

SC: Did Heavy Duty start out as an action game?
At some point it started out as an action game, but that was many years ago. But even at that time we already thought that it would be much better to make it as a strategy game. The first idea was to make a really advanced engine with one big planet and try to make a global strategy game with some action elements, with strategic control, combots, mechs, air simulator. The thing is that the developers are fans of the X-COM series, so they decided to move in that direction.

SC: Why was it changed to a strategy game?
As this game is developed for PC, it seems that the audience is mostly interested in strategy games and role playing games. As it is a game for PC only, that is why it was changed to a strategy game. There is a big audience for PC strategy games right now. But we didn’t forget about people who like action games, so we’ve got those elements as well.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. PC Gaming isn't dead Aug 14, 2007, 17:58 HardCore

PC Gaming isn't dead. It's the trying to make games for the console audience that kills games in general. I don't doubt that this game will come to console too, but I don't know either way and maybe they haven't announced that port yet.

Trying to make a game based on what you think people will like is a horrible way to make a game. It's the BEST recipe for disaster!

Try making a game that the developers or creative directors find the most fun, entertaining, challenging, addictive. Then you are well on your way to making a great game and finding success.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo