Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I described the aftermath of the blackout here, but not the storm that caused it. Mid-afternoon on Wednesday I looked out the window to a scene out of the Wizard of Oz, with bits of tree debris and rain passing the house horizontally, literally parallel to the ground. With fascination I watched the shingles on a house across the street lift and peel off and blow away like playing cards in the wind. The commotion carried on for a while before the power went, and when the doggies and I walked around surveying the considerable damage (there were numerous large trees downed) several other locals agreed with my theory that we had been hit by a tornado. I wouldn't have even entertained that notion before we had a confirmed tornado in the area last summer (story), but none of the news reports after the storm gave any indication that a twister was involved, so who knows?

Stormy Links! Thanks Ant.
Stories: Shipwrecked treasure ship yields historic riches.
Ex Scoffs at Buttafuoco, Fisher's 'Train Wreck' Second Shot at Love.
Science!: Researchers challenge Kennedy lone gunman theory. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Women could avoid chemotherapy with hormone drug.
Media: Scrubs - Dr Toilet.
Follow-ups: Bible spared "indecent" classification.
Online Invitation to ‘Help Yourself’ Surprises the Stuff’s Owner (registration required).
Woman, son sentenced for faked retardation.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

25. Re: The bible... May 18, 2007, 19:20 maplebob

This same sub-group started protesting a comic book store because they realized how scantily-clad the women were in the comic books how how hidden on a 7-foot shelf behind the register was a completely hidden small stack of "skin magazines" that they sold to adults upon verification. But they also put up fliers about the comics themselves.

I don't know if it has anything to do with religion. It just seems that zany human beings feel they have to protest something, somewhere, sometime.

Comic books were a major item of protest back in the 1950's but then most people just felt that looked silly and moved onto something else while the more zealous among them went on to protest fluoride in the drinking water.

I read a story about a lady protesting some PBS penguin because it's name is Pingo, or something like that. Apparently "Pingo" (or something like that) is slang for the dangly bits of the male genitalia in some language. Yet nobody protested Dick Armey about his name, at least not that I can remember. Go figure.

Some people who read the bible protest comic books and some people who read comic books protest the bible. But I haven't heard about anybody protesting a comic book based on the bible, so maybe that's the way to go.

I remember when I was growing up, I was raised Catholic and I chose St. Francis for my confirmation saint after reading the Marvel Comics adaption of his life.

Still, other bible characters could make super heroes, like Elisha and Elijah, like with all that whirl wind stuff and the summoning of the bear.

Oh, and Joshua who stopped the sun and the moon. That would translate well, maybe. Maybe NBC makes it into episodes of Heroes, or maybe they already have. I don't know I couldn't get into that show.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo