Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Lord of the Rings Online

Turbine and Midway Games announce that The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar is now online, offering more that a Tolkien chance to feed your gaming hobbit:

WESTWOOD, MA and CHICAGO, IL - April 24, 2007 – Turbine, Inc. and Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY) announced today that The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ is now available for purchase across North America. The game is the first and only massively-multiplayer online game based on the Books of J.R.R. Tolkien. In development for over four years, the game opens up the mystical world of Middle-earth and creates the opportunity for endless adventure.

Legions of fans have been waiting in great anticipation for the opportunity to start their adventure in Middle-earth and as of today, the wait is over! The Lord of the Rings Online delivers an interactive experience brimming with life and filled with the familiar people, places and monsters from the most beloved fantasy adventure of all time. From the quaint surroundings of the Shire to Angmar, the vile kingdom of the Witch-king, players will experience the world of Middle-earth as never before.

"The release of The Lord of the Rings Online marks a momentous occasion for MMO gamers and Tolkien fans around the world," said Jeff Anderson, president and CEO of Turbine, Inc. "Countless adventures await gamers eager to experience Middle-earth in an entirely new way and we're confident that once they’ve visited this epic world, they'll never want to leave."

"The Lord of the Rings franchise, with its incredibly rich history and extensive fan base, lends itself perfectly to the MMO genre," said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway. "We're thrilled to be able to partner with Turbine to bring The Lord of the Rings Online to North American gamers looking for a way to experience the world of Middle-earth like never before."

Turbine also announced today the first update to The Lord of the Rings Online. This free update, called the Shores of Evendim, is scheduled to be released this coming June and will include an entirely new landscape region, over 60 additional quests, the Battle for Helegrod raid, nine new monsters and major enhancements to monster play and the music system.

The Lord of the Rings Online is now available for purchase at major retailers in both a Special and Standard Edition. The Special Edition of The Lord of the Rings Online includes the game on a single DVD, 30-days of free play, the official 'Making of The Lord of the Rings Online' DVD, the official game soundtrack and an exclusive in-game item. The Special Edition retails for a U.S. MSRP of $59.99, while the Standard Edition of the game is available for a U.S. MSRP of $49.99.

For more information about The Lord of the Rings Online, please visit www.lotro.com

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

37. Re: Fundamental Apr 24, 2007, 17:46 Zoso

I have played LOTRO since A2 up until open beta. I stopped playing for a few reasons.

The first was the poor character animations. They have to be the worst I have seen in quite some time. The character models are not to far behind.

The next reason was the small world. The biggest problem I had is it's missing most of Middle Earth. I just can't feel like I'm in Middle Earth without Morder, Gonder, Mirkwood, Mines of Moria, Rohan, Lothlorien, etc...

The last reason is the crafting is just a after thought. Lot's of grinding for little to no reward.

A few other things that bothered me was the UI. You can not scale anything and on higher settings its hard to read the hotkeys for they are so small.

The mouse movement sucks for you have to click the right button first then hold the second to move.

The UI also feels slow like your running through mud. After playing Wow and getting use to how the mouse and key movements respond to your touch it's just painful in LOTRO.

The classes all feel the same. A 36 Hunter is the same as other 36 Hunters other then a few small differences with traits.

I feel the game will do well though not as well as some think on the forums. I liked the game over all but not enough to play and or pull me away from Wow for now. Maybe after a expansion or two if the game is still going and I'm not hooked on another game by then.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 18:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo