Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Cross-platform Details

IGN's Team Fortress 2 Q&A talks with Robin Walker about Valve's coming shooter that was announced back in the 20th century. Included is word that they have PC versus Xbox 360 gameplay working, which may or may not be a feature of the finished project, but either way, there's little chance that PS3 owners will be able to compete with PC owners, and no chance that the PS3 edition will support cross-platform gameplay with the Xbox 360:

Robin Walker: From our perspective, we did the Xbox port of Half-Life internally, and we did that because we wanted to have the expertise from doing that. Like controller expertise and all the sorts of decisions you've got to make that are different on consoles we wanted to have that in-house because we knew we'd be doing more Xbox titles and more console titles. And so the same guys that did that are working on TF2, we have all the tweaks we did to the controls, the sticks and everything. One of the advantages of TF2, relative to something like Counter-Strike, is that it's not so much about aim. Some of the classes like the sniper it is about aim, but as an engineer or a heavy or spy, aim's not too important, it's more about the decisions you're making other than aim. I mean heavy has a big hose so you just have to keep people somewhere in the middle of the screen and they're going to take damage from you.

IGN: What about the PS3 version?

Doug Lombardi: The PS3 version is being done by EA over in the UK, and they don't have all the networking stuff in yet to do anything other than [pause] it's rending and running the games and whatnot, but they're still dropping in the network layers. They're going to be using a piece of code that EA uses for its PS3 multiplayer stuff. Chances are the PS3 version will only play other PS3s. There's zero chance of them talking to 360s.

Robin Walker: Yeah if PS3 and Xbox people play together they'd just argue the whole time.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

27. Re: The Scout Apr 12, 2007, 12:58 nomar

Burn him anywayy!!!!!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo