Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Piracy versus PC Gaming

Next Generation recaps a GDC talk titled "The Videogame Piracy Problem: Fifteen Men on a Dead Manís Chest" by id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead about the impact of piracy on the game industry. They outline how Mr. Hollenshead says the estimated $3 billion economic loss caused by piracy in 2004 does not include piracy that takes place on the Internet. There is also an article about this talk on Joystiq that focuses on the statement that piracy is a factor in id's embrace of consoles, quoting Todd as saying "Piracy has pushed id as being multiplatform." On a related note, Can PC Gaming Survive in a Console World (thanks Digg) recaps a panel discussion on the topic that brought up a similar point:

Part of the problem is piracy. Big titles get stolen by cyber thieves, and it hurts revenue. "The market," said Capps, "that would buy a $600 video card knows how Bittorrent works."

Does that mean casual games, which exponentially outsell what PC gaming traditionalists think of as A-list titles, will one day rule? Hilleman made a point: casual is a poor choice of words. The average player on EA's Pogo "casual" game network plays "for 24 hours a week. There's nothing casual about that."

There is some light in the PC gaming world. World of Warcraft, for instance, is a massive hit, and the upcoming Spore looks not only creative and different, but promising. The MMO and other social networking games could become the norm for PC gaming, with big-ticket titles growing rarer with each passing year. Johnson added that MMOs are "successful because you can't pirate WoW. You cannot pirate an MMO. Period." Therefore, he said, "game design on the PC is going to bend toward persistence."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

105. Online distribution solutions Mar 10, 2007, 03:35 mOOzilla

Give us a better delivery method.

Agree on some kind of standard delivery and authentication method, something like Steam, not perhaps Steam itself but something like it.

Like it not Steam is here and it is solving some of the problems, while it is not great, it is best of its class out there today.

The last thing I want to do is to have to install 20 download managers in order to purchase and play my product as this is where it is going, we have Steam, we have Sprocket etc I ONLY WANT ONE just like an email client.

Media distribution is disappearing in time, this issue needs to be addressed. We need a STANDARD so we can pick and choose our own clients that connect to the same gaming network.

MS Live will be one, Steam another, cant we agree?

Where is open source etc when you need it, cant they INNOVATE? Meet the demand, fill the gamer needs?

We need an standard ID, we need a standard delivery network, we need a standard image format, we need this to be distributed, we need this to be a level playing field for all game houses we need a total game ecosystem not just for the gamer but also the publisher/development house.

Form a working group to push this or something, get all the shareholders (those with a vested interest, the gamers, the publishers, the dev houses etc) involved in discussion and agree on something.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 03:41.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo