Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Pro Gaming on TV

New deal will bring competitive gaming to TV reports Major League Gaming has enlisted media development and production company Flame Ventures, a new ally in their efforts at furthering their media reach. Word is: "While details have not yet been released, gaming fans can expect to see some of Major League Gaming's most prominent 2007 events, like the Boost Mobile-sponsored Pro Circuit tour, on television stations as well as through mobile distribution."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2007, 08:00 Riley Pizt

A player's virtual body is simply a means to an end. It has no value in and of itself. If the player doesn't touch the controls, the avatar will sit there and do nothing, just like a ball.
No, the correct analogy would be if the player himself just stood there and did not move. The avatar is NOT the ball. The ball in the virtual world would be the ball.

Your natural abilities come into play here, such as hand-eye coordination, reflexes, etc...That is what separates the best gamers from the regulars.
Yes, but it is the degree of that effect that is the big difference. As I demonstrated in my correct analogy, if everyone had Michael Jordan's body, they could at least compete with Michael Jordan through practice because their bodies could run as fast as his and jump as high. That is the case in video games. What separates the players is much, much less.

There have been occasions where Fatal1ty has been beaten, but hardly by an amateur. The guys who beat him were hardcore players, top of their respective leagues.
While Fatal1ty certainly does get the most media attention, he is not the only professional gamer. However even in his case I have seen and heard of him being scored upon in tradeshow shootouts (a situation whose conditions greatly favor the professional) from PR people who make the prize payouts. That would not happen with real professional athletes.

Hell, did you even watch that Tribes video I linked to? If you had, and if you had ever played Tribes, you would know that many of those feats cannot be achieved through simple practice.
You are basing your entire flawed position on the minutia of one video game. Sure some games have a steeper learning curve than others. But, any feats in any game can be duplicated due to the fact that every player's avatar has the same capabilities. In real world sports that simply is not the case. The average casual sports player cannot run, jump, or move like a professional athlete because no amount of conditioning will transform his body to be able to do that.

Tons of people have watched the Tribes: Legacy video since its release.
While "tons" is certainly a matter for semantic debate, how many people may or may not have seen that particular video is irrelevant to this discussion. The subject of this news story is not about one video game replay video or any replay video for that matter. It is about television broadcast of live video game matches. And, even the majority of video game players do NOT watch such matches let alone a significant portion of the general public.

As you can see, many, many people are interested in watching games being played.
First, watching a replay video is NOT like watching televised coverage of a video game match or tournament. Second, I don't doubt that a small, ardent segment of the video game playing populace regularly watches replay videos. Most people who play video games don't at least not on a regular basis.

If I saw a 150 MPH tennis serve or a great dunk, I might think "Nice." But I wouldn't really care.
You are missing the point. Whether you care for the sport is irrelevant to whether or not you can appreciate the feat. I have absolutely no interest in weightlifting, but I certainly can appreciate someone lifting an enormous amount such as in an Olympic competition because I know relatively how much weight I myself can lift in normal physical activity.

If you've never played basketball, you don't know how hard it is to dunk.
LOL! You are being ridiculous. It's a 10 foot high rim. Have you ever jumped up during your life?

You believe that if you practiced enough, you could compete against the best of the best. The fact is, you couldn't.
First, you don't know me and you don't know what I personally could do with regards to video games. Second, to address the broader issue, as I mentioned previously, many video game players could compete much more closely with so-called professionals than the overwhelming majority of casual sports players could against professional athletes. The ability gap there is simply enormous and dwarfs the one between video game players.

Have you ever played a game competitively?
I am not going to get autobiographical, but my observations are based upon some first-hand experience, yes. I have also been on a court with professional athletes before so I also have direct insight into that as well. I know firsthand that the skills gap between professional athletes and casual players is so much greater.

Because you don't or haven't played sports and don't even watch sports is exactly why you don't understand why there is simply no real comparison between professional sports and video gaming as an athletic endeavor or as a spectator sport. That is all I am going to say in the matter. There is no reason to waste more time repeating myself. I have more important things to do, and I am sure you have some video game replays to go find and watch.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 13:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo