Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Pro Gaming on TV

New deal will bring competitive gaming to TV reports Major League Gaming has enlisted media development and production company Flame Ventures, a new ally in their efforts at furthering their media reach. Word is: "While details have not yet been released, gaming fans can expect to see some of Major League Gaming's most prominent 2007 events, like the Boost Mobile-sponsored Pro Circuit tour, on television stations as well as through mobile distribution."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: No subject Feb 23, 2007, 00:57 Jerykk

An avatar in a video game is like the player's virtual body NOT the ball. Its behavior and abilities are defined by the game. Every player's character can run as fast, jump as high, and handle weapons the same as every other player's (subject to the particular rules of the game of course).

A player's virtual body is simply a means to an end. It has no value in and of itself. If the player doesn't touch the controls, the avatar will sit there and do nothing, just like a ball. The game world and the characters within simply represent the rules of the game. How well you perform under these rules is what determines your skill. Your natural abilities come into play here, such as hand-eye coordination, reflexes, etc. As with other physical attributes, some people are superior to others and no amount of practice will ever overcome this inherent advantage. That is what separates the best gamers from the regulars.

I have seen so-called professional gamers be scored upon and even beaten by amateurs in some cases in local/non-internet matches.

Really? Please, feel free to cite some examples. There have been occasions where Fatal1ty has been beaten, but hardly by an amateur. The guys who beat him were hardcore players, top of their respective leagues.

Though, I think we need to make a clarification here. When I speak of pro players, I'm not using "pro" in the occupational sense. I use it in reference to skill level.

The fact here is that there simply aren't many if any great feats that couldn't be duplicated with practice.

Unfortunately, that's not a fact at all. Again, you show your lack of experience. Have you ever watched top players playing their games? Hell, did you even watch that Tribes video I linked to? If you had, and if you had ever played Tribes, you would know that many of those feats cannot be achieved through simple practice. They require a higher level of natural skill that few players possess. Of course, you wouldn't know this, as you've likely never played Tribes and therefore lack the experience to appreciate the sheer skill shown in the video.

My point is that all but the most rabid player wouldn't even bother to watch the video, or if he did see it, he would be more inclined to want to play the game rather than simply watch and marvel at it.

Your point is incorrect. Tons of people have watched the Tribes: Legacy video since its release. It is widely regarded as the best Tribes video ever made. Go to the Tribalwar.com forums and ask if anyone has ever seen it. If you want to see how many people like watching other players, go to gamereplays.org. Or esreality.com. Back in the day, Tribalwar hosted tons of replays of matches between top teams. I'm sure there are other sites out there hosting replays as well. Hell, simply look at all the speed-run videos that exist for PC and console games alike. As you can see, many, many people are interested in watching games being played. And the overwhelming majority of these people are hardcore gamers who have a deep appreciation for exhibitions of gaming skill.

You don't have to play the sport to appreciate a 150mph tennis serve or a great dunk in basketball.

Speak for yourself. If I saw a 150 MPH tennis serve or a great dunk, I might think "Nice." But I wouldn't really care. Because I don't play the sports, I don't have any basis to judge the skill involved in such things. Therefore, I cannot truly appreciate them. Everything is relative. What you believe is an amazing dunk is only amazing compared to the other dunks you've seen or done yourself. If you've never played basketball, you don't know how hard it is to dunk. As a result, seeing other people dunk isn't nearly as impressive as it should be.

Your inability to appreciate footage of skilled gamers only reflects upon your lack of experience. You believe that if you practiced enough, you could compete against the best of the best. The fact is, you couldn't. Have you ever played a game competitively? Have you ever tried to take the number one spot on any highly-regarded ladder? Please, do tell.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 01:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo