Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gears of War PC... Eventually

The Mark Rein Q&A on TeamXbox follows up on a couple of long-debunked rumors (story and story) with the first semi-solid confirmation of plans for a PC port of Gears of War, which the Epic veep now says is inevitable, eventually (thanks Joystiq). After answering one question reaffirming the game as an Xbox 360 exclusive, Mark offers the following response to the question of whether it will stay that way:

íTil thereís something else. (chuckles) People ask me, ďAre you going to do it on PC?Ē Yeah, eventuallyÖI donít think thatís any great secret that we would like to do it on PC, but for now itís a 360 game. Eventually weíll get around to a PC version. I just donít know when.

Thatís worked successfully for Halo. Halo was a big seller on PC long after it kind of peaked on the original Xbox, and theyíre doing the same thing now with Halo 2. We work at the pleasure of a publisher who thinks both of those are their platforms, so I think itís ultimately inevitable, and obviously weíre a PC company.

The big challenge is to make a game that was designed solely for the consoleÖto take advantage of every last little corner of that console, to fill every little crack and run as many threads as we could and do as much to exploit the power of that machine, and make it run well on enough PCs to be worth releasing. Thatís a challenge. UT will help us there, because Unreal Tournament 3 will be kind of our vanguard PC product, and itís helping us get optimization on the PC. So itís just a matter of, now, can we make Gears run on enough PCs that itís worth sellingÖor do we have to wait in five years until everyone has a PC that can run it?

Itís inevitable, but itís just not there today.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

35. Re: Liking It Feb 15, 2007, 09:16 Flo

@Parallax
Couldn't agree more, thank you. Single Player could have been longer and the story could have been more fleshed out but it was great fun nonetheless. Now I hate CS, always did and its round based multi player and that's why I was pretty surprised that I got so addicted to GoW Online. I guess it's just that rounds are faster and that I just love the cover system.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo