Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Games for Windows

Games for Windows Vista how the new brand & OS will change PC gaming on Joystiq offers an updated preview of the new Games for Windows initiative, attempting, with limited success, to sort out what GFW represents besides a marketing slogan. Based on a tour of the program by Marketing Director Kevin Unangst and PR Manager Michael Wolf, they describe interoperability with Xbox 360 games via "Live Anywhere," how PCs will get numerical ratings to gauge how well they can play games, and what qualifies a game for the GFW logo. The conclusion they draw, however, is that it is difficult to draw conclusions about all this:

It's a risk. The Games for Windows strategy is on the verge of being schizophrenic. Can the cumbersome PC gaming experience really be simplified down to a console scheme? There are just too many freedoms and variations that exist in the PC universe to accurately interpret the PC as "the console that everybody already owns." It's not that simple. So is GFW a trick? Is Microsoft trying to lure back some of the consumers that were lost when Xbox was launched (an initiative that cannibalized PC gaming sales by design)?

The answer, like the Games For Windows vision, is not so clear. But there is most certainly the opportunity for Microsoft to create something very special. A cross-platform community where you and I can jump from Xbox to PC to our cell phones seamlessly. Anywhere.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. On Games for Windows Dec 20, 2006, 00:10 Tanto Edge

PC games haven't gotten any worse, console games have simply gotten better.
Leave it alone, the best games will always be on PC, because PCs are scalable, upgradeable, and will always be the most cutting edge platform.

I use a Logitech G25 Steering wheel for NFS Carbon, which means I play at 1280x1024 and it doesn't look grainy as hell.
I've seen HiDef gaming on a bigscreen. It's wild, but give me a 21" widescreen at 1440 anyday and it will look a lot better because it's not trying to do something it can't.
HDDVD? Computers have that too. Blueray? I think so, but haven't checked around...
If it's not, it will be available soon enough. It always is.

My point is that PC gaming will always be around and any game that comes out on console, that is any good, will be on PC as well. This is because any solid gamer owns a solid PC or a solid console, or both.
That said, I prefer Oblivion on my computer, with a keyboard, then a console, with a controller.
But if I'm so inclined, I can use my XBox 360 controller, on my PC. Customization, tailoring my experience.
Something consoles mimic, but cannot actually do.

PC Gaming isn't going anywhere. Consoles have become much better, but computers are always better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo