Prey Weekly... Er... Monthly Update #24 on the 3D Realms Website
Chris Rhinehart makes up for lost time in discussing the release of Human Head's
first-person shooter, offering details on the coming first patch for the PC
edition of the game, mentioning a 360 patch is also in the works, and taking the
lid off plans to release more content for the game that includes some smaller
maps and six new player characters. Here's a bit on the new stuff:
currently working on a 1.1 patch for Prey to fix several bugs and a couple of
additions. Here is the (not final) list of changes:
• Fixed a crash at startup on some machines
• Fixed an occasional crash on the dedicated server
• Fixed a crash when using image_usecache cvar with very big
textures. Textures whose lowest mip map doesn't fit will be default texture.
• This was causing a crash when a modified prey was loading
• Fixed a crash on some machines when reading savegames.
• Some timedemo features not appearing if you restart between
• Added widescreen resolutions to menus
• Updated multiplayer browser to fix servers not showing up
due to DNS resolution
• Updated multiplayer browser not keeping join button up to
date when server summary wasn't the active tab.
• Updated multiplayer browser so punkbuster icons show up in
their column properly
• Updated multiplayer browser so mod games' icons show up
• Updated multiplayer browser so server scanning is more
consistent on slower connections
• Fixed multiplayer weapon exploit
• Venom is working on a 360 patch for Prey which will address
the network lag issues on the 360 as well as fix several bugs there as well.
No ETA yet on the release of either of these patches, other than we hope to have
them resolved and out very, very soon.
New Content for Prey
There's also new content for Prey coming soon -- still in the process of
finalizing the new maps. We've read online that some people have requested maps
that function well as 1v1 maps. So, we've taken that to heart and have been
working on four maps that work better with a smaller number of people 2-4
players. Of course, you can still play with more than four in the maps, but they
can get pretty insane.
Also, we're adding in six new player characters:
- Four female characters: Jen, Elhuit, Mother, and Becky (the blond victim you
see occasionally on slabs in the single player Prey)
- Two Hunter characters: Hunter and Elite Hunter
Similar to the 1.1 patch, no ETA on the release on this, other than soon. We're
still working on finishing the maps and play balancing them. We'll announce the
release date for this, once we're closer to final. Watch 3DR's page, or Prey.com
for that info.
Yes, this additional content will be released on the 360 as well. Further
details about possible points cost of the extra content for the 360 has yet to