Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We have our annual physical checkups this week, so today we go in to have some blood drawn... To prepare for this we had to not eat after midnight last night, so this has been an un-caffeinated update... not something I would ever do by choice. I hope I don't fall asleep at the wheel driving to the doctor's office.

Decaffeinated Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Combat Heaven. Thanks Mix.
Link: It's not safe!
NES Zapper Mouse for PC Duck Hunt fun.
Story: 26 More Futurama episodes. Thanks Slashdot.
Science!: Grow your own oil, US.
Farms Waste Much of World's Water.
This Essay Breaks the Law (registration required). Thanks Slashdot.
Auctions: DS Development Cartridge Auction.
Media: Voltron.
Bad Roof Jump. Oh dear! An object lesson.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

61. Re: V for Vendetta Mar 20, 2006, 20:13 Halsy

Regarding V and the creator's original intent (which was a shot at Thatcher and Reagan regardless of who says what) all I have to say is that once again we see life imitating art imitating life.

The right-wing has always been uncomfortable with freedom and concepts like social responsibility and justice. Just a major fault in their hard-wiring.

The Rabbi Sherwin Wine said it best....

There are two visions of America. One precedes our founding fathers and finds its roots in the harshness of our puritan past. It is very suspicious of freedom, uncomfortable with diversity, hostile to science, unfriendly to reason, contemptuous of personal autonomy. It sees America as a religious nation. It views patriotism as allegiance to God. It secretly adores coercion and conformity. Despite our constitution, despite the legacy of the Enlightenment, it appeals to millions of Americans and threatens our freedom.

The other vision finds its roots in the spirit of our founding revolution and in the leaders of this nation who embraced the age of reason. It loves freedom, encourages diversity, embraces science and affirms the dignity and rights of every individual. It sees America as a moral nation, neither completely religious nor completely secular. It defines patriotism as love of country and of the people who make it strong. It defends all citizens against unjust coercion and irrational conformity.

This second vision is our vision. It is the vision of a free society. We must be bold enough to proclaim it and strong enough to defend it against all its enemies.

Oh yes, and I forgot to send out a happy level-up day to nin, so Happy Level-Up Day! Take a consitution boost!

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo