Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Patches, SDK

A new patch for Quake 4 is now available, updating the Win32 edition of Raven's sci-fi shooter sequel to version 1.0.4, as well as updated Linux binaries bringing the Linux client and server to version 1.05. There is also the first release of the Windows and Linux SDKs for those interested in creating mods and maps. All the downloads can be found on id Software's FTP server. Mirrors of the Windows patch are on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, VGPro, and Worthplaying. Mirrors of the Linux binaries are available from 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, FileFront, FileShack, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, VGPro, and Worthplaying. The Windows SDK is mirrored on 3D Gamers, Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, VGPro, and Worthplaying, while the Linux SDK is available on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, VGPro, and Worthplaying. There's more on this in Timothee Besset's .plan:

We have released the 1.0.4 update for Quake 4. Check our website for all the announcement details. This update is compatible with the current release, but we recommend everyone to upgrade. We also released an SDK so you can start making game modifications. There is also lots of documentation on content creation on the iddevnet website.

Now to answer a few frequently asked questions about the GNU/Linux version:

- Linux clients can't play on pure Windows servers 'out of the box'. Even with this update, Windows server still need to put a game pak in their path so Linux clients can join in. This is documented in the Quake 4 GNU/Linux FAQ.

- The builtin level editor will not be available on Linux. As was the case with Doom 3, it is too heavily dependent on Windows APIs to be ported. I would advise anyone interested in content creation for Quake 4 on GNU/Linux to help add support in GtkRadiant.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

39. Quake 4 Patches, SDK Nov 17, 2005, 07:06 Kris Redbeard

Gonna try it with Quake4 now - see about setting up a Strogg DM mod (play as Berserker, Gladiator etc, from their viewpoint).

Wow, didn't take long. Basic single viewpoint done and now I can walk around as a berserker. Animations are whacked and you have no 'berserker' attacks etc, but hey, tis' a start and kind fun ta-boot.

Now to put up a website, form a huge team, hype everything, release levelshots and renders (but no real "in-game" stuff), disappear for a month or so only to return and announce some bullshit reason for no longer working on the mod.

Meh.
There is more to a mod then a website full of ideas.
I'll keep toying with this for my own reasons (and personal fun), but I doubt you'll ever hear about it again.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo