Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

• Sid Meier
    Slashdot - Sid Meier Responds (thanks Siggi) is a Q&A with the famed designer subjecting himself to the questions of the masses of /. readers: "Believe it or not, I think the biggest thing PCs have going for them in the console war is the mouse/keyboard interface. So many game types are nearly unplayable without this simple mechanism. Real-time strategies, first-person shooters, point and click adventures, are all best suited to a mouse and keyboard. Another important factor is the innate upgradeability of PCs vs. consoles. The fact that you can still have a viable machine two years after it has been on the market, by simply adding RAM or a new video card is priceless. PCs also benefit from fairly cost effective high-resolution monitors. Finally, you can't ignore how easy it is to connect PCs to the internet (another mouse/keyboard must by the way). Being able to quickly, easily, and cheaply connect is a major plus, as it allows all sorts of flexibility - from finding opponents to downloading patches and content to browsing forums and FAQs."
  • Fallen Earth
    MMORPG.COM's Fallen Earth Q&A talks with James Hettinger of Icarus Studios about their upcoming MMORPG: "I would also contend that almost every great game has been original intellectual property and that it is the exception rather than the rule for branded content to be a break through product. There are tons of examples of break through products such as Doom, Half Life, Civilization, The Sims, Grand Theft Auto, Mario Brothers, EverQuest, Halo, Age Of Empires, and the list goes on and on. These were all smash hits and none of them were based off of branded content. We think of them as branded content now because they have been so successful but they all started as original games."
  • King Kong
    There's an audio interview with Michel Ancel on the Frag Dolls Website discussing the King Kong game during a launch of the film remake it ties-in with in London.
  • AEGIA
    SimHQ's Update On AEGIA is a Q&A with Manju Hegde, CEO and founder of AGEIA Technologies, on their hardware Physics Processing Unit: "Yes, we have signed up many developers who are planning to use the technology in exciting and inventive ways. Several AAA titles in the list of upcoming games that support the PhysX processor have the potential to be the killer app we will only know after we see the reception by gamers. Hardware physics has the potential to affect game play in many different ways, making the situation even richer that that during the Voodoo days."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: No subject Oct 22, 2005, 11:03 Moonbender

That's about the only thing I agree with but I could also claim that PCs are teh suxor at driving games and fighting games because of the mouse and keyboard.

They are, arguably. But you can buy and use a joystick, gamepad and a wheel, or even attach most console controllers via an adaptor.

Merely by adding components typically worth a couple of times more than a current console I can stay up to date with my PC games?

Bah humbug. Unless you stay cutting edge, PC hardware doesn't cost all that much. You can get a decent graphics card for <100 Euros, it will still be faster than the current consoles. And you don't have to upgrade everything all the time, just single components. In fact, you don't have to upgrade anything at all, since PC games are usually designed to scale down to positively ancient hardware, like my current setup. Adding a new AGP graphics card would add at least another year, and maybe two to its viable lifetime.

I'm going to start filing away at that PCI-E card to make it fit in my AGP slot?

Yeah, I imagine you would. For the other people, there are plenty of good cards still available for AGP.

So do consoles. They're called televisions. Apologies to those in America who suffer from NTSC.

What are you talking about? HDTV? They are expensive. Standard definition TVs aren't anything like high resolution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo