Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam 3 Cometh

Steam News announces a new update to the broadband delivery service that lays the groundwork for the release of Steam 3, a surprise to those of us who were unaware that we were using Steam 2:

A new Steam client has been released, updating the integrated Steam store and the Games list. The update will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.

These changes are part of a larger set of features (collectively known as Steam 3) which will be introduced over the course of the coming months. Today's release allows Steam to offer a larger and more varied collection of games to our customers, and introduces a-la-carte purchases.

We hope everyone enjoys the changes.

And Don't forget to pre-order Rag Doll Kung Fu while it's still only $12.95!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

97. Re: puzzled over steam hate Oct 12, 2005, 22:42 Riley Pizt

you don't. for HL2 i...
- buy game online, dl, install, run, autho game One Time.
- every subsequent time i play, i do it with the cable modem OFF completely. no internet required to play after initial autho.
If you don't check the box to store your Steam credentials on the PC or if you ever accidently uncheck it, you will have to reauthenticate. I also believe that if you substantially change the hardware on that PC, you will also have to reauthenticate although how much you would have to change I do not know. A network card and/or BIOS would probably do it.

Steam is unobtrusive, non-invasive
Steam is NOT uninvasive. A PC sends data to Valve while Steam is running (not in offline mode) even if while playing a single-player Steam game like Half-Life 2. What this data is exactly I did not decipher, but it shouldn't be sending any data at all in that situation and Valve's publicly-displayed privacy policy certainly suggests that this data is not inconsequential information. The interesting thing is, this specific communication can be blocked using a firewall, and the game will still function in single-player mode so it is not something which Steam actually requires to operate. The point those is neither this communication nor its contents are not specifically disclosed by Valve.

and it works.
Historically, Steam has failed for many people whenever a new game or major update has been released including the release of Half-Life 2. It does not always work, and with the way it works, it should not be required at all.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 22:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo