Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

The Mod Squads - Q2-DOOM 3 Screenshots

These 3 large screenshots were sent along (complete with watermarks!) by Thearrel 'Kiltron' McKinney (now of Futrix Studios) showing off the Quake II for DOOM 3 modification that will be released on The Mean Arena when complete.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: Thank you. Apr 23, 2005, 21:33 SquirrelZero

It all depends on how far you take it to make it look and play like that other game. For example, if you created your own map from scratch that was laid out almost exactly the same as a map made by someone else, you are violating copyright law. The layout to that map cannot be copied. Basically if you're doing a near-carbon copy and are just changing around some names or other small stuff, they will come after you -- whether it's from scratch or not. All the litigant has to prove is that the object is easily recognizable as one of theirs and therefore misrepresenting them, even if it wasn't directly modeled or skinned by them. The most common misconception among modders is that you can create your own content mirroring someone else's, and think that because it's 'your' content you have no liability. That's simply not the case.

Trust me, it's tricky stuff, especially in the USA. And it might even just depend on the judge reviewing the case. Basic advice: when in doubt, contact the company you're worried about offending, which is probably what Kiltron did from the start. The worst thing that can happen is working on something for months under the assumption that it's ok, then posting screenshots and getting a very nasty email from a lawyer telling you it's not.

---------
Pandora Studios programmer
http://www.pandora-studios.com

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo