Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I forgot to mention the neat thing from my visit to Dr. Toothy the other day. One of the cool things about the good doctor is that he is always checking out new dental equipment and techniques, especially those targeted towards the comfort of the patient. The latest doohickey he used on me is a clever but simple addition to the Novocain needle that causes the needle to vibrate. This takes advantage of the relatively simple (in a manner of thinking) nature of nerves, as in this case, the nerves concentrate on the vibration and ignore the pain, so you can't even tell you are getting injected. Pretty awesome.

Meanwhile, my ISP is working through some sort of domain issue, which may be causing some mail sent to me to bounce. Hopefully they will be able to straighten this out, but if you get a mail bounced back from me, that's probably the cause.

R.I.P.: Airplane drummer Spencer Dryden dead. Thanks Mike Martinez.

Links of the Day: Playskool Mr. Potato Head Darth Tater! Thanks Heather/Zathrus. I find your lack of sour cream... disturbing.
Stories of the Day: Famous Cartoon Moms Get New Hairdos.
Submarine Crash Shows Navy Had Gaps in Mapping System (registration required).
Willie Nelson Bets on Biodiesel.
Science!: Giant robot helps prevent landslides. Gotta love giant robots. Thanks bowerbird.
Does science make room for aliens?
Why the Sun seems to be 'dimming'.
Images of the Day: APOD 2005 January 15 - Huygens Images Titan s Surface. Thanks Jim.
Hello Kitty street racer. The fast and the fruitiest.
Media of the Day: Payback Time.
Auction of the Day: OWN YOUR OWN PIECE OF NORTH YORKSHIRE. Thanks Fragzzhost.
Follow-ups: Tsunami moves North Pole, shortens daytime. Film at 10:59.
Huygens sends first Titan images.
Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

23. Re: Hyugens Probe Jan 15, 2005, 20:52 Jim

inda neat though, the rocks look exactly what you would find by a rocky shoreline in N.E. , worn smooth by water (or in this case, liquid helium).

Actually liquid hydrocarbons (frozen methane) and some water. If it was liquid helium I bet there'd already be plans to set up remote mining operations there. I remember reading a few years ago that it was speculated that there was frozen helium on the moon, which would be a virtual gold mine for energy for future space expeditions.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo