Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tales of Alvin Maker MMORPG

eGenesis to Develop Alvin's World as a Multi-player Online Game (thanks IGN and Mike Martinez) has a letter from science fiction author Orson Scott Card describing plans to create an MMORPG based on his Tales of Alvin Maker series. Here's a bit on the game, which like A Tale in the Desert, eGenesis' other MMO project, will contain no combat:

Four different magic systems, plus the technology track, offer players many ways to develop their characters; the presence of Calvin, Arthur Stuart, Peggy Larner, and Alvin Maker himself will provide plenty of complications and opportunities.

Above all, this alternate version of America will have ongoing events that players can affect, changing history each time a full game is played.

The game will be by paid subscription and will be played online. It will take some time to develop it, of course, but progress reports will be made here, including graphics as they become available.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Well, I love the books, Jan 9, 2005, 06:59 Awesome Spume

A Tale In The Desert came years after Everquest and has already given way to ATITD2, which is haemorraging subscribers even as we speak. From a peak of about 2500 to 1500 over the space of weeks. Meridian 59 I'll sorta give you. It came a couple of years before EQ but was unavailable for a couple of years after 3DO shut it down until it got resurrected. I'm not defending EQ, just picking apart what I saw as an illogical statement made without any evidence to support it.

I just don't think at this stage you can say something more obscure than Everquest will outlast it when there's no indication that Everquest (or it's sequels if we're allowing those) is remotely close to stopping.

NOW if you were talking CRPGs then Nethack would be a good example. Hmm, in fact Ultima Online would be a good example to support the original poster's statement.

I loved OSC's fiction (particularly A PLanet Called Treason) but stopped reading at Wyrms after losing a bet. Then recently I discovered his monthly column:
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/

Yipes.

EDIT: I also love how Gothic 2 has a "look behind" key since you'll spend most of the start of the game using srategic retreats. Gonna have to replay those games soon. Shame the Night Of The Raven never made it out of Germany.

-------------------
If you're a European sign the anti-software-patents petition at:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 07:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo