Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Wins Cyber Café Suit

Steam News has word that Valve has won a summary judgment in its Cyber Café copyright infringement lawsuit:

Valve today announced the U.S. Federal District Court in Seattle, WA granted its motion for summary judgment on the matters of Cyber Café Rights and Contractual Limitation of Liability in its copyright infringement suit with Sierra/Vivendi Universal Games. Click here to read the judge's order.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Tough one Nov 30, 2004, 06:30 WebDemon

I kinda have to agree with Hump here. They had no choice in the matter. VU would have raped them in court because if it were even a few dollars cheaper online, VU would have gotten raped at retail. I don't like what Steam COULD become, but I still hold out a little hope that it could be the beginning of the end for publisher control over games. Granted most companies probably can't sustain themselves financially during a long dev cycle without the fat cash of a publisher. The larger ones however can in most cases. With steam, Valve has eliminated the need for the publishers distribution channels and VU knows it and is scared shitless of it. I imagine a great many publishers are looking at "the great Steam experiment" now and thinking "holy shit, we are fucked." If the next game Valve releases sans publisher is much cheaper than it would have been at retail, I'm thinking maybe only 10 or 15 dollars cheaper, then we have witnessed the industry take itself back or at least the first steps toward it. If it remains the same because Valve decides that "these chuckleheads will pay retail for nothing but data. BLING BLING!" then Steam will have become what I fear it may and we'll all be fucked along with the publishers. Only time will tell but so far, I think it's working out rather well considering what it was even a year ago and I gotta say, I like the idea of online distribution.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo