Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Final Hours of Half-Life 2

The Final Hours of Half-Life 2 on GameSpot offers the promised behind-the-scenes epic look at development of the highly anticipated shooter sequel, offering an incredible amount of detail on the project, including the whole September 30 debacle:

So what did happen? As Newell and the team have explained, by July it was obvious that Half-Life 2 would not be finished in time for a September 30 release. So why was Valve still telling the public in late August that the game was on schedule? "We were paralyzed," Newell says. "We knew we weren't going to make the date we promised, and that was going to be a huge fiasco and really embarrassing. But we didn't have a new date to give people either." In other words, Newell didn't want to announce the delay until he had a new official date to announce. It's that simple. "So I decided we should just stay quiet," he says.

Still, there's a difference between staying quiet and confirming a ship date that you know to be incorrect. Newell says that, in retrospect, he may have made the wrong decision on this front. At the time, however, he didn't want to announce the delay until he had something better to tell the fans. "I didn't want to go to 'when it's done' or announce 17 different dates over the next few months," he says.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

77. The Final Hours of Half-Life 2 Nov 13, 2004, 16:18 VoodooV

Fuck Gabe, Fuck Valve, and most of all, fuck Steam.

instead of this release date delay bullshit, which lead him to start lying to his fans, why don't they do what Nvidia used to do and not even announce the goddamned product until its ready to go (oh wait, they needed to take advantage of the hype to reel people in hook line and sinker into Steam.

if you have to give a date to your publisher or to the powers that be, fine give THEM a date, but otherwise, shut the fuck up and don't say shit until you have a product ready to sell.

that way when the inevitable product delays occur, no one gets disappointed, except for the business. and since they're the one delaying it, shouldn't they be the ones that feel the hurt, not the fans?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo