Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War Patch

The first patch is now available for Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, updating Relic's Warhammer RTS game to version 1.01. The 1.5 MB patch is available on 3D Gamers, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Great Game Sep 28, 2004, 18:32 Creston

Good and bad about this game :

Good:

1) It looks great, and the battles are awesome to watch, especially when vehicles are fighting infantry. Nice and gooey to see that orc chainsaw slice through your infantry with blood spurting everywhere.

2) Well balanced, although I think the Space Marines' uber vehicle is much more powerful than that of the Chaos Marines and Eldar (nobody can say anything bad about the squiggoth).

3) Very easy to get a quick battle going, and to have fun for 45 minutes or so, which is not so easy with other RTSs (think Rome : Total War, which is far more heavy time investment.)

Bad:

1) It chugs like hell on mid range machines, even with medium detail and no shadows... Apparently anyone with less than 1GB is going to experience chugging in large battles. While I suppose this is understandable considering all that's going on, I wouldn't exactly say that 1GB of memory has become standard yet.

2) The single player campaign is 11 whole missions long. If you take your time, they'll take you about 10 hours to complete. If you are agressive and run through them (which you can, because that's the style this game advocates), you can do so in half that. 5-10 hours of single player is NOT enough, especially considering the fact that they still sold the damn game for 50 bucks. "We didn't have the budget nor the time" is a bullshit excuse when that 49.99 price sticker is looking at me.

3) Not many multiplayer maps, and most of them are very similar. There are perhaps half a dozen maps that are actually fun to play. And, ofcourse, there is no map editor...

Having said that, Relic released a free expansion pack for Impossible Creatures, and the end of the single player campaign all but SCREAMS that there will be a follow up to the story, so I'm hoping that they'll get that expansion out the door right quick.
The tools apparently will be out within several weeks, so at least some good maps should pop up.

There is also a stupid bug in the Skirmish setup, you are always player 1, if you take a map and want to fight 3 AIs on the other side of the map, numbered 4, 5 and 6, you start the game, to find that the game has made the computer AIs numbers 2, 3 and 4, and so two of them start right next to you. I have tried and tried and tried, and this happens every single fucking time. Which means that you're stuck either slugging it out with an AI 10 meters away from your base (you can kill him quick, but what's the point?), or playing 2 player maps, or playing with 2 allies (which makes it far too easy).
I hope that this will get fixed soon.

All in all, I'm enjoying the game, but I would have enjoyed it far more had there been more maps, and a bigger single player campaign. I can't say that I feel robbed, but there is not a whole lot of content here for 49.99.
If you are just wanting to play an RTS, not necessarily a space RTS, I would suggest Rome : Total War over this any day of the week.

Creston

Edit : The devs have said quality over quantity regarding missions.

That'd be great if the missions were of fantastic quality, but quite frankly they aren't. The missions against the Orcs are nice enough, but the ones against the Chaos Marines are just standard bog fare "here's a peon, build a base, and survive while the Bloodthirster comes to rape your ass", four of them in a row. There's nothing remarkable or remotely quality about them.

Also, if your missions depend on spawn cheats in order to make them "difficult", you automatically forfeit ANY entitlement to the word quality.
Dawn of war uses spawn cheats in TWO of their eleven maps.

Edit 2 : The cutscenes are way to heavy. The marines are uptight religious guys. Do it our way or die.

That is completely in keeping with the Warhammer 40K universe. In fact, I thought the Blood Ravens were fairly lenient throughout the campaign with regards to the Imperial Guard and such

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 18:41.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo