Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Imminent?

HalflifeSource (thanks HomeLAN Fed) is reporting news from Valve's Doug Lombardi, saying: "Half-Life 2 will be passed on to publisher Vivendi for final mastering and duplication within days for it's early August target. The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

113. Severity of the leak Jul 29, 2004, 21:01 ildon

It seems a lot of people think that all that was released was the uncompiled source code to HL2. This is not the case.

The guy who broke into their system basically downloaded a snapshot of their entire development tree for pretty much all their products at that time. He only released the source at first, but within a few days he had released a complete and somewhat playable version of HL2. It had several assets that were out of date for that version of the executable and would not load, and tons of maps spanning the entire length of the game in various states of development (from the basic orange/white completely unfinished maps to what appeared to be near-complete versions of other maps). Yes it included the E3-specific content, but that's not *all* it included. It was not really what you could call an "alpha" because it wasn't intended to be played by anyone at that point, in fact it'd be impossible. Generally an alpha is a feature complete or at least playable version of the game. The best name you can apply to what was leaked is a "development snapshot".

Later he also released various HL mods in various states of being converted to the HL2 engine, including a version of what is now known as CS:Source with a single map, and HL1 completely recompiled for HL2 with physics objects and everything.

He also released Ritual's version of Condition Zero, in addition to an early version of the final, TRS version of CS:CZ.

This was a HUGE content leak. HUGE. Anyone who tells you differently is either ignorant or lying.

How do I know all this? Uh... *runs away*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo