Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Source Theft Arrests

Valve Software sends word that arrests have been made internationally in the highly publicized theft of source code for Half-Life 2 (story), their eagerly anticipated first-person shooter sequel:

Online Community Tracks Down Hackers

June, 10 2004 – Arrests have been made in several countries related to the break-in to Valve’s network, theft of the Half-Life 2 source code, and release of the source code on the Internet.

“Within a few days of the announcement of the break-in, the online gaming community had tracked down those involved,” said Gabe Newell, Valve’s CEO. “It was extraordinary to watch how quickly and how cleverly gamers were able to unravel what are traditionally unsolvable problems for law enforcement related to this kind of cyber-crime.”

Thousands of tips were received related to the criminal activities, with a core group of people who were able to analyze and backtrack from these clues. Subsequent to these individuals being identified, Valve has been working with various national authorities to prepare cases against those involved, leading to these arrests.

“It was very uplifting to see how the community rallied and tracked these people down. Everyone here at Valve is once again reminded of how much we owe to the gaming community,” added Mr. Newell.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

78. Re: jesus Jun 11, 2004, 13:04 Tigger

It's no wonder why developers seem to be "abandoning" the pc market and developing for console more nowadays. Everywhere you go, and I mean everywhere, you see a thread of PC gaming fans just constantly whining, bitching, moaning, complaining, theorizing, etc etc about development of a product they know absolutely nothing about. Who wants to make games for people like that? Who wants to make games for fans who just turn on you in seconds? It's amazing. The consolers who are purpetrated (sp) to be 13 years old bitch 100% less.

No. Developers are getting into consoles because console software sold $5.8 billion last year as opposed to PC games selling $1.2 billion.

And No. Players under the age of 18 make up 36% of the console game market.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 16:50.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo