Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the π

I mentioned that "Broken Arrow" was a misused term among the links of the day yesterday, but RoboRay sent along a note to question the accuracy of that, and in further investigation, I learn I erred when I researched this some time back, and that this is actually the proper term to use for a Nuclear Weapon that is damaged or detonated. Thanks to RoboRay for the correction, and apologies to John Woo for doubting him (though I still think he owes the rest of us an apology for that flick).

R.I.P.: Palmolive pitchwoman 'Madge' dead.

Play Time: Which Irrational Number Are You? Thanks Bronco. My results below.
Stories of the Day: 'Mister Ed' gets a new voice. From Red Ryder to George Jefferson.
Man says former co-worker thrown to lions.
Teen finds his picture on missing children's Web site.
Science!: Experts: Ocean studies will move to other planets.
Russia to build new spacecraft.
Flu Vaccine to Change Next Year (registration required).
Media of the Day: American Idolatry. Thanks Bronco.
Image of the Day: Holy Grail Of El-Spyware! Thanks Ant.
Follow-up: Brain fingerprints under scrutiny.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
What Irrational Number Are You?
You are π

Of all the irrational numbers, you are the most famous. You have many friends and fans. Like many people, non-Euclidean geometry makes you feel uncomfortable. You are involved in so many things that it seems like it would take two of you to make ends meet.

You are particularly close to the rational number 22/7. However, you and e have been called "remarkable."

Your lucky number is approximately 3.14159265

Shiny Lemur
Straif's Blog

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

74. Re: what irrational number are you... Feb 19, 2004, 23:55 Pedle Zelnip

we have infinity + infinity, or 2infinty, which means the equation really is infinity/2infinity = 1/2.

The only problem is that this isn't valid, infinity isn't a number, so infinity + infinity is NOT 2 * infinity, just like infinity / infinity is NOT 1.

By your reasoning, not only would the reals be 2infinity, but rather since the integers are infinite, and the rationals are the integers plus the rational non-whole number numbers (of which there are infinitely many), then the rationals would be 2infinity, and thus the reals would be 2infinity + infinity = 3infinity, and then probability would be 1/3.

PZ
------------
Reading: Robert Pirsig's "Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"
Listening To: Nothing in particular
This comment was edited on Feb 20, 00:06.

PZ
------------
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo