Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Delayed

Shacknews has finally received official word that Half-Life 2 will not be making its planned release date of September 30, something a quick glance at the calendar can confirm. Here's the quote from Valve's Doug Lombardi:

The previously announced September 30th release date for Half-Life 2 is being pushed back. We are currently targeting a holiday release, but do not have a specific "in-store" date to share at this time. We will release that information as soon as we have confirmed a new date.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

236. Re: Film vs. Games Sep 29, 2003, 13:56 PsycSui

The problem with the games industry is that developers have no power at all about release dates etc. Publishers have all the power and the developers are their bitches.

Actually, some developers have control over their own release dates. For example, I give you id. id software releases their product when THEY want to, without influence or instruction from Activision. I'm sure Valve has a similar agreement with Vivendi.

Also, Half-Life 2 is not going to be delayed because they'll sell more copies during the hiloday season. HL2 is going to sell a million copies, and Vivendi is going to get that money, no matter when it's released.

Films vs. Games

No one here said movies don't have problems, or that they never get delayed. But movies and software have different problems. It would be easier to compare the release of Half-Life 2 to a version of Windows than something like The Matrix or The Lord of the Rings. The problems you run into just aren't the same. They are two creative processes, but they're for completely different media types. One is designed to run on multiple hardware configurations with different operating systems, the other is designed to work on Christie Projectors. One is designed to allow interaction, the other to be observed and enjoyed.

Games may sometimes provide a movie-like experience, but it doesn't mean that they're the same. And the truth is, they're not even close.

I'm not saying movies are easy to make when compared to games. I understand that they too have a very complicated process. I'm just saying that they're different types of entertainment with different kinds of solutions for problems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo