Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ultima X: Odyssey Announced

Origin Systems Announces Development of Ultima X Odyssey is the press release officially announcing development of another MMO Ultima game. There was also a press event yesterday to unveil the project, and HomeLAN Fed's Ultima X Odyssey Press Event Report is a teaser article, pointing out that the assembled scribes will be exposed to the game first hand today (so expect one of those flurries of previews that typically follows such an event). Meanwhile, a 21 MB gameplay trailer has also been released, and can be found for download on FilePlanet (registration required), Gamer's Hell, IGN, Tiscali Games (where there's also a smaller DivX version), and Worthplaying, while the first screenshots from the project have been posted on GameSpyDaily. Here's a bit from the press release:

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 22, 2003--Origin Systems, an Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS - News) development studio, today announced the development of Ultima X: Odyssey(TM) (UXO), a next generation massively multi-player online role-playing game (MMORPG) from the award-winning Origin studio team. Powered by the latest version of the UnrealŪ Engine and based on the renowned Ultima(TM) single-player role-playing series, UXO will enable players to create personalized legacies in a massive new online world and will be one of the first of its kind to offer private areas on demand within the game.

"Ultima X: Odyssey takes the genre to the next level through its innovative new Odyssey Adventure System ensuring that players experience a greater sense of adventure and reward from both questing and combat," said Andy Hollis, vice president and chief operating officer of Origin Systems.

UXO's proprietary and innovative Odyssey Adventure System delivers customized quests to players automatically and enables private adventure zones, providing adventures on demand as players journey through the world. An added bonus in offering players private areas is that they can't be interrupted by "griefers" and other uninvited guests.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

39. Re: Hmmmm... Aug 22, 2003, 16:14 LordSteev

And what's wrong with multiplayer NWN?
If done right NWN in multiplayer comes as close to pen&paper RPG as no other RPG, be it single-player or MMORPG.
And that's what RPGs originally are, pen&paper RPGs.

What im saying is: NWN multiplay = free
mmorpg multiplay = monthly fees

Why pay monthly for something you can already do for free?

Still, I personaly don't like NWN gameplay. I dont think it comes close to pen & paper at all. And in single player, your sidekick AI is screwy as hell. The texture sets are limited and boring. Everything is boxy. The character models are low detail. The voice acting is pathetic. The story line is lame and uninspired. The written dialog is way too small if you play at high resolutions. The camera is wonkey. The landscaping is uninspired. Other than those few minor quibbles, yea, it's a great game.

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo