Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Half-Life 2 Graphics

A chat log from last night's chat with NVIDIA is up on Bjorn3D. Along the way, the proceedings point the way to a forum post called Half-Life 2 - Anti-aliasing by Valve's Gabe Newell that puts the recently unveiled "problem" with HL2 antialiasing (story) in perspective: He explains how the visual artifacts described in recent reports have been present in other games for years, and that they are showing concern because they have eliminated so many other visual artifacts as well as the amount of light variation they are using. He goes on to discuss solutions:

2) What are potential solutions?

• Support Centroid Sampling
  • Use Pixel Shaders to Clamp Texture Coordinates

Centroid sampling doesn't have the problem that center sampling does in multi-sample antil-aliasing. ATI has supported this form of anti-aliasing for the 9000 series. The tricky part is enabling this when DirectX doesn't easily expose this.

There's a different trick you can use with hardware, such as NVIDIA's, that doesn't support centroid sampling. Basically you trade off some pixel shader bandwidth to clamp the texture coordinates so that you don't sample texels outside of that polygon's lightmap sub-rect.

Between these two approaches, multi-sample anti-aliasing artifacts should be a non-issue for any DX9-level hardware running Pixel Shader 2.0.

3) How will this look?

We'll release one of the demo movies with the anti-aliasing artifacts in and one with the anti-aliasing changes.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

87. Work ! What's work ????? Jul 24, 2003, 22:19 Big_Bear

When Half Lfe 2 comes out. I think I'll just quit my job and University and become a Vegatable in front of the computer, only moving from my computer for food, drink, toliet breaks and a cuddle from my Girlfriend(cause I'll need a cuddle every time I get killed)

Big Bear

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo