Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Trailer

IGN's Half-Life 2 Media Page now offers a link to a Half-Life 2 teaser (the link was broken for a bit after being posted, but seems to work properly now). The 11.9 MB movie is in QuickTime format. There are also Half-Life 2 Impressions on GameSpot with a detailed rundown on what they saw, concluding with: "Frankly, we were blown away by what we saw of Half-Life 2 here, and though this was a rolling demo (albeit of real-time gameplay), Valve proceeded to demonstrate the bug bait level in action, which looked just as good as in the rolling demo. Based on the 25-minute Half-Life 2 demo, we can say with reasonable certainty that this is definitely a game worth looking forward to."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

298. Re: RE: 264. Examples May 21, 2003, 00:40 Xombie

But you only like focussing on DOOM3's shortcomings and HalfLife2's strong points.
You seem to have missed the several posts in the other thread where I said that Doom has a great lighting engine. You also seem to have missed where I concurred with the oddness in HL2's ragdoll physics, and when I agreed that Alyx's arms being held out looked wrong.

My point here is only that it is possible to find issue with HL2's animation system
And I have agreed with some points on that.

"1-2-3"'s: As Alyx spins around she looks like she is folkdancing in a wheelchair.
You mean how her upper body turns? Look closer, and notice how her right shoulder dips down as she turns. She's actually just pivoting and slightly twisting to look behind her.

"Lara Croft-itis" is where the attractiveness of a female model in a game has more to do with an opinion of the game than the content (a la' "Tomb Raider"). I do not really believe you have it, but you do go on about Alyx's eyes.
I'm using her as an example of the eyes simply because that's the example that sticks out in my head: Not only was she the example used in the majority of articles I've read, but also because that's the only character that one saw for an extended period of time in the GameSpot demo movies (which didn't include the G-man demo). The same eye effect is actually included with every character.

Have you noticed that Alyx's model is significantly better done than the other characters, and I'm not just talking about how beautiful she is.
I think that G-man's model seems to have as much detail as Alyx.

So F**KING WHAT?? Even with this sheen the models are significantly better looking than the models in HL2. When they are moving you will not even notice the flat edges so much so it may not be such a big issue anyway.
If the polys are more obvious, then the models can hardly be said to be "better done".

Oh, Xombie. You have such a high opinion of yourself.
Why would I have a low opinion of myself?

I do not mean to be hostile.
I'm not sure where you grew up, but where I come from, telling someone to "grow some balls", to "get a life", and accusing them of "shooting their mouth off" isn't quite considered friendly.

But should we sit back and let you post your somewhat biased opinions, and then not pull you up about criticisms that can be applied to both games
I'm perfectly welcome to you doing that. I've been perfectly welcome to people disagreeing with me. What I'm not welcome to you doing is outright insulting me. It's unnecessary and serves only to incite a flame war. You do not need to tell me to "get a life" in order to prove your argument.

Anyone could spend their time picking faults with HL2, and there a lot of faults in both games. But who cares??
I do, because I enjoy analyzing games. I enjoy the concept and theory of game design. I like arguing about it. Just like there are people that will argue with you until they're blue in the face that Freddy is better than Jason.

As I said before: "in five years both of these games will look like shit."
And in five years, all of us nerds will be arguing about two different games.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo