Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Previews

The NDA referenced earlier has expired, and the first web-based Half-Life 2 previews have begun appearing. There are now previews of Half-Life 2 in (alphabetically): Computer and Video Games, GameSpot, GameSpy, PC.IGN.Com, and Shacknews, . Each article is based on seeing a some proof of concept demonstrations, offering their individual impressions and a shared pool of screenshots, which are also posted here locally. There are also plentiful developer quotes scattered throughout, offering the first details about gameplay in the shooter sequel. Here's a bit from the GameSpot article, as we're impressed by how the NDA seems to have been crafted to fit the big dog's daily publishing schedule. They refute some rumors and shed light on the game's true target platform:

In case you were wondering, the game is also being built, first and foremost, for the PC. Leading up to the official announcement from Valve that Half-Life 2 would be publicly displayed for the first time at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May 2003, rumors spread far and wide about what the game would and wouldn't be. One of the more popular rumors was that, much like how Bungie Software moved development of its outstanding first-person shooter, Halo, from the PC to the Xbox, so would Valve switch to focusing on console development. Newell laughed this off--no, Half-Life 2 will be a PC game. At first. Newell did confirm that an Xbox version, at least, will follow suit, though there's no hard release date for it yet. At any rate, Newell emphasized that the success of the original Half-Life can be attributed in no small part to the game's huge, worldwide following of PC owners. Valve would have to be downright foolish to abandon its huge installed base when making Half-Life 2.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

105. Re: Followers!!! The lot of you! May 12, 2003, 01:06 Xombie

Again Xombie, you are basing your conclusion on rumors
No, I'm basing on the fact that they haven't named a single innovative or creative thing they are doing with the game, except the lighting.

If you can prove me wrong, paste me some proof, but i'm sure you're again just talking out of a hatred for Id
It's in the PC gamer article from last year. Remember? The one with the big "DOOM 3" cover on it?
-They aren't working heavily on the AI
-They're not allowing the player to run

GG valve, the only reason i even bought Hl initially was due to promises of TF2
Why would you buy a game only for a mod or expansion that wasn't even gold yet? That's hardly their fault.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo