Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

id Software Q&A-DOOM III MP Clarification

FiringSquad's QuakeCon 2002 report is now online, offering their impressions of the DOOM III presentation, John Carmack's address to the attendees, some highlights of the Carmack Q&A, and more. They cap things off with their own Q&A with designer Tim Willits and animator Fred Nilsson of id, discussing DOOM III's single-player focus, multiplayer support, weapons, interactivity with the levels, NPCs, monsters, and more. It should be noted that Tim's answer to a question about multiplayer scalability offers relief for those concerned about John Carmack's comments about four-player multiplayer support, saying: "Doom 3 multiplayer will be fully scalable. It will be a peer to peer system. We haven't started working on it yet. Tell everyone not to panic - it will be fine. John just forgot to mention it'll be scalable past four players."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Its a single player game Aug 26, 2002, 03:47 vacs

Valve built on the revolutionary efforts of Id.

Your comment would be true if the statement above was true, but it isn't. Yes, Valve did licence the quake1 engine from id, but as they said in many interviews, not much was left in Half-Life of the original source code. The netcode was completely rewritten, so I don't see here any efforts of ID!
Gabe Newell stated that only 5-10% of the original q1 code remained heavily tweaked in Half-Life... still calling the success of HL and CS an effort of Id? CS popularized and revolutionarized mp because it's so easy to buy the game and enjoy the game even for newbies who don't have a clue about PCs and MP gaming. You feel right at home when playing CS. Hardcore as also casual gamers.

Where's the revolution in Q3A? Graphics? Easy accessible for the general public it isn't; but that is the HL-CS revolution I was talking about. Selling many hundreds copies each day even after 4 years after being released!

BTW, I also play a lot Q3a and some UT, but I like q2 and q1 better. As you can see this is not about opinions but about facts which every id fan has to accept, even me

This comment was edited on Aug 26, 03:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo