[Sep 11, 2001, 9:30 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further
game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to
access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information
about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:
- President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report:
- A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and
New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them
to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush
said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil
acts,'' and any country that harbors them.
- In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the
World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin
towers" subsequently collapsed.
- A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it
has collapsed as well.
- A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports
indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in
- 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller
buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary
- The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all
evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at
least noon tomorrow.
- Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney
theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule.
The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for
- Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and
antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent
terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied
involvement in these attacks.
- In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York
City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400
firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78
Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four
hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at
the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the
number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
- People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood
to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York
or the American Red Cross are places
to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
- Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been
more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com;
The New York Times; washingtonpost.com;
and BBC News Online.
All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families
and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.
Enter the details of the comment
you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at
the bottom of the form.
||To Anyone Conected with the Attack...
||Sep 18, 2001, 10:54
|You guys blew it. That attack hurt alot, yes. But, you had the power to defeat America in your hands, and used it to simply give us a black eye. Before Tuesday, 1000 people working together would have had the power to defeat the entire USA by simply buying plane tickets and box cutters. You could have waited and gotten many people in place, and destroyed virtualy every major building in the USA in a matter of hours. Anyone with half a brain would have taken that idea, and realised it was the answer. Now, you spent your idea on a simple few attacks. Painfull as they were, they will not stop us. You had to power to bring us to our knees, and instead used it to wake us up to the danger. Because of your actions we have a safer nation, are now aware of what was the greatest danger to our security, and you have doomed your cause. Thanks.
U S A
Copyright © 1996-2015 Stephen Heaslip. All rights reserved.
All trademarks are properties of their respective owners.