Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Assassin's Creed Unity Announced

Ubisoft announces Assassin's Creed Unity is the next installment in the stealthy assassination series with this video revealing the game is set during the French Revolution. The clip concludes saying the game is expected this holiday season, and shows logos for the following systems: PC, Xbox One, and PS4. Word is: "We have been working on the new Assassin’s Creed for more than three years, and wanted to find the perfect time to give you an early taste of the game. Apparently though, the Templar Order was hungry to know more right now. To this, we say “Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!” (“Let them eat cake!”). Help yourself to a serving of the first official footage from the next-gen only Assassin’s Creed Unity. Stay tuned - we'll have many more exciting details for you in the future."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 17:09 peteham

Finally got around to playing AC4. I wouldn't have bought it for some time yet, but it was bundled with my new graphics card so with all the praise it had been getting, even from fellow AC3-haters, I've been very curious. Well, I needn't have bothered. Turns out I'm so burnt out on the whole series it's not even funny. The ship stuff is fun for a few hours but isn't deep enough to carry the game on its own. Aside from that, there really hasn't been anything new since AC2, and all the flaws of the core game seem to be still intact. The traversal is still horrible. You still get stuck on walls, chimneys, or simply run up and down, up and down some sort of unscalable wall. Descending, more than anything, is the worst of all. Try getting off a rooftop in a hurry if there isn't a leap of faith or large empty space nearby (taking 50% fall damage in the process). It ain't easy with a character that's hell-bent on grabbing onto everything in sight. And enjoy the frustration of seeing that courier slip further away as you struggle through the slow-ass animation of scaling a couple of barrels instead of the ladder you were aiming for. Frankly, the best option is still to just run through the streets.

This game needs a run-button that doesn't double as CLIMB EVERYTHING IN SIGHT very, very badly. Even the simple act of getting into position required to open a damn chest or supply crate is annoying. If you try to run the last distance you're more likely to start climbing or humping the thing, than opening it. Getting to the helm of your ship? Have fun humping the railing and every cannon in sight, before finally stumbling into your second in command before you're finally able to take the helm.

And the missions sadly haven't improved at all. The awful eavesdropping missions were expected based on feedback I've been reading, but the rest of the bunch aren't much better. Trigger an assassination-sequence by spotting the target from too far away? The Script(tm) will kick in, your target will start to walk and you'll be in no position to stay in range. Desync, respawn in preset location and try again for the easy win. Times like this, with the game screwing you over, is still the only way it's possible to fail in this travesty of a game. The treasure hunting/collectibles could've been fun, but they've gone ahead and added MMO quantities of padding to every single activity. Something that would be fun a handful of times, they make you do 100 times. I could see 50 hours of gametime simply doing the same, boring old disembarking just to climb onto some small shitty island to get one damn chest. The same goes for boarding ships and upgrading the jackdaw. It's fun about 10 times, and after that it gets tedious. With the amount of materials I've been getting, I'd say I had about 100 more boarding attempts ahead of me if I wanted to upgrade it all the way. Even if you mix things up, there isn't enough variety or depth to keep things even remotely interesting.

Black Flag wasn't the disjointed mess AC3 was, but it still feels like a collection of minigames made by separate studios to me.. As for the core game, they need to completely redesign the mechanics at this point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo