Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

23. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 15:43 Scottish Martial Arts

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 15:31:
Min wage jobs typically (here is where I become curt and dismissive) are not life long jobs (they shouldn't be).

Then perhaps they ought to pay more so that people have the resources to move on to better work? If the only people working minimum wage jobs were teenagers in the summer, I'd agree with you. But a lot of people end up in minimum wage through minimal fault of their own. Sure some people are lazy and never apply themselves, but a lot of folks stuck in minimum wage are capable of a lot more yet had a bad run at life and there they are.

When you work minimum wage, you make so little money it's kind of ridiculous. You HAVE to take on a second and third job if you hope to have any money left over at the end of the month. That means your free time to say, go to school or learn a new skill or network to make connections for a better career, is extremely limited to non-existent. Likewise, money is always extremely tight. You are never not worrying about how you're going to get to the end of the month. You are never not feeling guilty when you engage in the frivolous $3 expenditure of getting a few things from the dollar menu at McDonald's rather than eating PB&J for the 15th lunch in a row. The amount of stress you are under because money is so scarce makes it that much harder to do the things necessary to get a better job. Gradually you become so drained, you can't muster that energy. And because you have next to nothing at the end of the month, you aren't making progress. You end up stuck, working your ass off, generally in stressful, tiring, and demeaning work, just to go nowhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo