Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking

Oculus Rift unveiled a new "Crystal Cove" unit at CES today, with the new version of their Oculus VR headset sporting an upgraded OLED display and newly added positional tracking. There are details on this on Polygon, where they learned that these changes will not greatly increase the cost of the units. "Cost has always been at the crux of the entire Oculus platform, if the hardware is not affordable, it might as well not exist," Nate Mitchell of Oculus told them. "We made sure this is a low-cost solution without sacrificing any quality. This is a top-notch positional tracking system." They have some info on both changes, saying OLED panel has an unusually high refresh rate and the ability to fire an individual pixel "for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse." They also discuss what the positional tracking adds:

One of the demos shown at CES will feature the player sitting across from a fantasy character in Unreal Engine 4, with a table that features a tower defense game resting between you. Positional tracking will allow the player to lean forward and study the board and details of the units. The extra three degrees of movements would also allow players to lean out a virtual window, for instance, in order to look around while still keeping their body in cover.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

45. Re: Oculus Rift Adds OLED and Tracking Jan 8, 2014, 07:56 eRe4s3r

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 06:40:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 05:58:
Jensen wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:47:
InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 03:20:
entr0py wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 01:43:
Ah, he side stepped the only thing I care about, resolution. I don't care about how organic and decomposable the display is. I only care that it doesn't look like SVGA graphics from 20 years ago.

This is indeed the biggest issue. The native resolution has to be at least 1080p, anything else and playing sims with this gear will be impossible. Well not impossible, but fucked up all the same. If I cant read the gauges in my cockpit or see the bogey out of my cockpit I might as well be flying blindfolded...
They've already confirmed that the consumer display will be at least 1080P. That will still seem very pixelated in a Rift. 1440P phone screens should be coming this year, and Samsung has said that they are working on a 4k phone display for 2015.

I think it's pretty funny you guys are focusing on resolution, forgetting you want to play games on that thing. The problem is not resolution, the problem is you need to run games at 120*2 fps because you have 2 viewpoints. There may be optimization possible but even then, you are looking at a massive new GPU investment to ever run a game on the rift "optimal". You can pray to the seven hardware gods that the resolution won't increase. Because beyond 1080p no GPU on this planet runs a modern game at 120fps.... and that's assuming you want 60fps per eye.. and not 120 as it is optimal.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you talking about the frames per second or the refresh rate? Because these are not equivalent.

The refresh rate of 120Hz is a function of the screen and not really tied to the performance of the graphics card.

Ehm.. last I checked I said FPS like 5 times... I am talking about actual image rendered by your GPU. optimal for VR is 120 images per second per EYE Which the OR should be able to do, except on 1 panel (so half horizontal res). This means you need to render a game TWICE at 120fps for 8ms delay (at the resolution of 960x1080), or twice at 60fps if you want 16ms delay. The OR currently says it runs at 90hz (meaning you can push up to 90 fps per eye) but who knows whether that's the maximum or just that they have problems running all this data. 4k resolution is also an INSANE data volume. So there hardware reasons that limit resolution, aside from cost factors.

If you don't know how VR works I'd suggest reading the post by Valve about it. 60 fps is not 100% optimal... and even that not optimal frame rate needs to be rendered twice, at the same time with different viewports (which means aside from physics you can forget doing this without 2 dedicated GPU's) and these GPU's need to be in perfect sync with each other.

This is why they don't increase resolution beyond 1920x1080 .... 4k or rather 3840*2160 would require you to render a game at 1920*2160 ........ see the problem? How many games you know that run at 60 fps with such high resolutions? And with 2 viewpoints.... ? What about 90 fps? or 120?

You are hard pressed to find old games that run this fast even today, and even if you find games and settings that run at these speeds you would still be CPU bound, as Direct X and OpenGL add a HUGE layer of crap between GPU and GAME. Mantle might be a way to at least fix that problem.

Point is. Resolution is like the smallest least significant problem VR has. Frame rate and delay is what makes or fails VR.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2014, 08:08.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo