Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES

This week's CES will feature looks at Steam Machines from various partners in Valve's hardware initiative. Engadget reports a dozen companies have announced plans to show off SteamOS machines at the show: Alienware, Falcon Northwest, iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, Origin PC, Gigabyte, Materiel.net, Webhallen, Alternate, Next, Zotac, and Scan Computers (thanks Destructoid). On a related note, CyberPowerPC sends along specs for two of their SteamOS-powered machines to give a sense of what to expect:

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine will come in several pre-configured options priced from $499 to $699 with the ability customize all models.

CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine A CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine I
Base Price $499 $699
Case CYBERPOWERPC Steam Machine Gaming Chassis
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 Video Card
Processor AMD A6-6400K 3.90 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-4330 3.50 GHz
Storage 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD
RAM 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Chipset mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 WiFi + Bluetooth mITX motherboard w/ 802.11 AC WiFi + Bluetooth
Accessory Steam Controller
OS SteamOS
Availability ETA: 2H 2014

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

41. Re: Full Steam Machines Ahead at CES Jan 7, 2014, 13:48 Verno

descender wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 13:29:
Hey, if the only thing holding them back is a marketing campaign... sounds like an easy fix doesn't it You are the second or third person here that has for some reason assumed that they won't advertise their new product. Why? What other way are they going to win this battle against mega-corporations MS and Sony? Not only will Valve directly market SteamOS, but every company making SteamBox's will be marketing their own hardware as well.

No I think they will advertise it but I don't think that's a magical bandaid that will undo decades of branding from other companies. The controller is going to be a major adjustment for people too and there's also the issue with platform fragmentation when you have this many vendors involved. I really like this idea but where we disagree is that I think their implementation is more niche than it is mass market.

But hey if its a massive success then that's great for me either way

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo