Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans

There will be just one model of the Oculus Rift when the VR headset is released to consumers next year, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe explains to Engadget, clarifying that there will not be separate versions of the Rift for PCs and Android. They also clarify that Android support will be "slim" to begin with, and John Carmack describes it as a "PC-based product with Android compatibility," and the implication seems to be that Android support will also require a computer: "That's why we're optimizing for Android, but the Oculus Rift will have a cable that goes down to another device which provides the CPU/GPU computing -- whether that's a laptop, a desktop, or potentially a mobile device, that's always been our focus for V1, that continues to be our focus for V1." They also touch on a future vision of a standalone unit, but stress that their main focus is to get their V1 units into consumers' hands at some point next year. Thanks nin via Shacknews.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 3, 2013, 15:42 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 3, 2013, 15:27:
Cutter wrote on Nov 2, 2013, 23:27:
This strikes me as just another toy that will be gathering dust on people's shelves before too long.

I doubt we'll be playing on a flat screen for eternity, so something is going to give, full immersion seems like a logical next step. There is what 2 games a year you like... because really you're bored of the same ole, one would think you'd be the person to embrace new horizons. You ole poop.

As for those mentioning resolution... again another reason why the next gen consoles needed to be able to pull down 1080P with high frames. The PC is going to get this in the next year and then for the next 7 have this emerging technology up/on the next gens. And again what are these expert execs being paid and what are they really even coming up with? Stuff amateurs think of.

A headset you strap on and isolate yourself from the outside world doesn't seem like a logical next step to me, just like Google Glass doesn't seem like a logical next step.

If we don't move to some form of implant we're moving to holograms. Something like this is just an off-shoot, something fun for a small group of people but nothing the masses will gravitate towards. Even its usage is limited - games where you have a first person view. It makes no sense for most strategy, sports, board, or third person games, and it makes even less for any other computer use.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo