Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2013, 19:11 MoreLuckThanSkill

BF4... oh how great you could have been, and may yet be.

Currently there are connection issues, which seem to be entirely server side, as well as stuttering/lag issues, regardless of the client(s) hardware. There was a patch yesterday that was supposed to fix/address this, but the same issues are still there currently.

Two of the more vehicle heavy maps (The Railroad map and the non-flood Dam map) seem to have bugs that cause the sound to cut out, especially when you are in a tank, making it extremely hard to survive as you will not hear any lock-on warnings, etc.

However, aside from those issues, which are pretty substantial, the game so far has been hilarious and really enjoyable. Commander mode is a little bland on most maps(that don't have cruise missiles) and you do not have access to team chat/voice comm, which is unforgiveable, in my opinion. I assume that's because of the whole tablet-Commander 'feature,' but maybe there is an option somewhere to enable text chat, who knows.

Headshots are rewarded, which is good, but body shots seem to be penalized heavy in BF4, compared to BF3. This is really evident with the vehicle mounted MGs, which seem to take an inordinate amount of shots if you don't hit the head, to kill infantry.

I was initially worried tanks were nerfed too much, and while they are definitely weaker in BF4 than in BF3 because of the clip/reload system, the ugprades help out a great deal. Coaxial HMG, Sabot rounds for main gun, Autoloader and Smoke, and I'm going on 25kill streaks in tanks without a lot of difficulty. Shooting down aircraft is a LOT easier in BF4, with the higher speed sabot rounds, at least for me, and infantry die almost as quickly to the HMG in BF4 as in BF3.

As far as on foot, Assault class weapons utterly dominate at medium-long range, to the point of absurdity. The engineer carbines are ok in comparison, but you won't win many head to head fights vs a decent Assault player. PDW engineer weapons are great at close range but useless everywhere else. Sniping seems to be stronger in this game as well, because of flatter firing arcs on almost every gun(aside from the HE tank shell). I have not yet played Support class.

MAA is definitely weaker, akin to a post-nerf BF3 MAA vs infantry, with possibly even less damage to aircraft as well, although both sides' vehicles have more accurracy than the BF3 versions.

Helicopters are easier to control, and fun to fly in between all the skyscrapers on most maps. They seem more responsive also.

Jets... still overpowered in the hands of a great pilot, a little useless with new/mediocre pilots due to all the anti-air and obstacles to be avoided.

The boats all seem to have at least 1 minigun, along with missiles/cannons, making them a real danger to any aircraft or infantry. To make up for it they are all glass cannons, which seems balanced so far.

APCs should do more damage to infantry in my opinion, you can easily waste 12 shots of 20mm cannon on ONE infantry due to the spread and shake of the vehicle, making headshots much harder than from tanks.

Vehicle vs vehicle damage in general on the ground is WAY down, tank battles take forever unless you totally ambush an opponent and get a 90degree shot on the back panel.

All that said, I'm enjoying BF4 immensely when I can stay connected, and cursing DICE when I get disconnected/the server crashes when I am on a roll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo