Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst

A report on SuperData Research has some speculative analysis about World of Warcraft revenue rates, saying they "believe" that Blizzard's MMORPG earned about $93 million in April, compared with $204 million seven months earlier. Saying this is partly due to the game's slow but steady subscriber loss, they say that it's to the point where the game needs to place greater emphasis on microtransactions, but a switch to a full free-to-play model "is currently too much of a jolt for WoW, and doesn’t make sense with the current metrics." Thanks ComputerAndVideoGames.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

27. Re: WoW Revenue Drops 54% - Analyst Sep 12, 2013, 16:30 Kitkoan

BobBob wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 14:56:
People burn out on an MMOs. This is a surprise? I burn out on MMOs within 10 minutes. The only MMO that kept my attention for a longer period was City of Heroes (RIP). You know it's true, psychologically, economically, and physiologically, MMOs will have a negative impact on your life. Avoid any kind of game that keeps you staring at a screen or sitting down for more than an hour out of each day; same advice goes toward using social media.

I have to agree, people burn out of MMO's.

And it doesn't help they are quite similar so one feels like the next (even when WoW re-did it's opening world in the previous expansion, it didn't feel that different).

The other issue is, MMO's are built to be just that, Massively Multiplayer. And if you can't get enough people in the area's then it's not as fun. WoW has a lot of player... in the main cities looking for groups for dungeons.

And this is one of those reasons I haven't played GW2 in months. It was great when it first came out. I loved it. But as time went on, more people started getting higher level, and that meant that each area had less players and it just wasn't as fun anymore. No more major events with 25+ people. It became down to 15'ish players, then 10'ish, with the last time I tried I couldn't find more then 2 others to join in a major event which isn't enough. It has a lot of people, but they are spread out on different servers to prevent lag but that also means that there are less people in a map in total. 10,000 players (I don't know exactly how many, work with me) all around the level of 20 or less and the 10'ish beginning area's are packed and it's a blast because everyone can help everyone. Those same 10,000 players spread out amoung 100 area's.... not so packed, so less people to meet and work with. Not as much fun, more so when your in area's that are less prefered.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo