Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

7.7 Million WoW Subs

A note in the announcement of Activision Blizzard's stock buyback from Vivendi offers the latest subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft. The last census for the game put the playerbase at 8.3 million, and word is they have lost about 600K of them since then: "Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft® remained the world’s #1 subscription-based MMORPG, ending the quarter with approximately 7.7 million subscribers."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

30. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 16:07 NewMaxx

Prez wrote on Jul 26, 2013, 10:42:
That's ridiculously high for a game that old. Why anyone in the world would STILL be willing to pay 15 bucks a month to play this is simply beyond my comprehension.

I think the mindset is based around content creation vs. content consumption. The old adage is that you can never create content fast enough to satisfy your entire player-base. It's a matter of time and cost. A fair analogy would be TV shows. How many times have you found a new show and then proceeded to blow through it in its entirety after like one week? It's simply not possible to produce enough episodes to keep up with a focused viewer.

So after many years of game-building, you have this massive world that's doubled, tripled, perhaps quadrupled in size. That's a lot more content for the same general price. No doubt a new player or returning player subs for a month and blows through it quickly, not unlike the TV analogy. That's better value for the money than the person who paid the same for just the vanilla game many years ago. So, it becomes more like an expanding amusement park where ticket prices remain the same.

At the same time, people want different things from their game. Some want to stand out with their costumes, some want bling, some want to power through the game, etc., and you start getting these item shops and real money options. The subscription model feels less and less realistic. Yet there are many niche games that succeed with a subscription and the fact is you can survive with far fewer subscribers if they consume money in the game, as well.

These ideas actually come from mobility, where you have things like in-app purchases. Some of these games are free up-front, some aren't, but mobility is different than the PC platform, especially for old games. WoW has been around long enough that it's in a transition period between the two models and it's trying to maximize both. Will it last? Well, as I said, it's content, and if more and more of the content is nickel and dime customized stuff, the subscription will have to fade away.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo