Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The NYTimes has an article about that wee hours amber alert I mentioned yesterday, saying that I was not the only one awakened by this, explaining how the system works, and discussing whether a late-night alert is really advisable (thanks j.c.f.). It also tells us that the missing child that inspired the alert was found, so there's good news there, and in fairness, the amber alert played a part in this (albeit during the day when people were awake), so one can't complain about the results. There's also a post about this on Buzzfeed (thanks nin) including this explanation from the powers-that-be: "It truly is a city that never sleeps. There are always tons of people on the road. It makes perfect sense to send this out." So their actual intent wasn't to wake up the millions of us who were asleep, it was for people to read on their cell phones while driving that night. Okay, as long as they thought this all the way through.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Pretentious Game 3.
Tower Empire.
Stories: Kosher lube puts oral sex on the menu for Orthodox Jews. Just don't add whipped cream (dairy).
Dynamite Revives NBC's 'Heroes' as comic. Thanks Dark Horizons.
Science: Gas being drawn into the Milky Ways black hole at 10 million km-hour.
Curiosity Mars Rover Passes Kilometer. One mile warranty ends soon.
Media: Funny dog tries to stomp out his shadow.
Jamie Foxx shocks as Electro in first 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' teaser.
Follow-up: New study finds its too soon to tell if ice sheet loss is accelerating.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2013, 09:41 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 08:45:
Can you silence the Amber alerts but not the weather alerts? That's what I would do in that situation if possible. Considering the amount of time I am either in my house or at work and my general habit of truly ignoring random people, Amber alerts would be wasted on me, but weather...

Yeh there's the option to turn off the Amber but to leave Emergency. Emergency covers at least flooding and tornado, I imagine it's also there for any big-time emergencies the government deems fit. Like if a nuke plant exploded in your state or something.

I'd already turned my Amber alert one off though.

Those alert tones are loud as hell. They went off by us the other week when we had that huge down-pour and tornado warnings. It scared a bunch of us in the office, and my co-worker was driving to work when it went off and startled him enough to affect his driving.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo