Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 10:30 Trevellian

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:17:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 09:57:
Microsoft may be upgrading the specs of the Xbox One before its release

12GB of DDDR3 isn't going to help much. Yeah it makes up for the bloated 3 OS's taking up 3GB of the 8GB and puts RAM availability more on par with the PS4... but anyone that knows squat about GPU's, knows that the same GPU with DDR5 is about twice as fast as the one with DDR3. Memory bandwidth is king for GPUs. Then add to the fact that the PS4 has 25% more GPU cores... and not even the alleged clock bump Microsoft may do will help much (in comparison).

For cross platform games I guess devs will have to program for the lowest common denominator anyways, so even though the PS4 is more powerful it is not going to be used.
I doubt features will be turned on/off on different platforms to gain some fps.

Even with this gen, isn't the PS3 more powerful hardware then the 360? The cross platform games still look the same or maybe a bit better on the 360.

Regardless this is a complete cluster fuck from Microsoft. I don't know how they will get out of this one on top but they will have to do some major changes and price cuts, which I doubt they will do.

The major issue this generation was that Xbox 360 was still generally a windows machine thus making it much easier to program for, despite the PS3 having more powerful hardware.

Ask any cross platform studio and they'll tell you the PS3 was a nightmare to program for. Unless you were a first party team like Naughty Dog and knew how to squeeze every single bit of power out of the system, your game ended up taking a hit on the PS3.

This is why cross platform games, I'll use an obvious example, Bayonetta, came out running flawless on Xbox but choppy and clunky (Until patched properly) on the PS3.

In the end I still ended up preferring my PS3 over the 360 due to the first party teams Sony owns, and due to the fact that after my second 360 burnt out I gave up on them.

But it will be a different story this time around with them both running X86 architecture. You fully can and they hopefully will flip certain things on and off dependent on the system to make full use of each systems power. Yes, most teams will probably just be lazy and not bother, but when it's basically down to just changing a value in a Options.cfg hopefully they won't be that lazy.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo