Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha

Steam News announces that Planetary Annihilation is now available as an early access title. This is causing quite a stir thanks to the $89.99 price it carries, which is steep for a finished game, much less a pre-beta. They include a note somewhat addressing this, explaining that this is the price they told their Kickstarter backers that early access would command:

Our pricing for this stage of early access was determined by our Kickstarter. The stages of our early access for ALL users, which was determined during our Kickstarter, is:

June through August: $90 for early alpha access, during the time where we're still locking down features and making tweaks to the flow of the game. This access is permanent access - you will be able to play through alpha, beta and on through retail. (Galactic Edition Equivalent with all addons)

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

80. Re: Planetary Annihilation's $90 Alpha Jun 16, 2013, 13:59 Dev

Slashman wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 10:10:
Dev wrote on Jun 16, 2013, 03:11:
Prez wrote on Jun 15, 2013, 21:57:
I was just worried that was going to be the FINAL price! Their reasoning for charging that much in Alpha is sound though.
Their final price is going to be like $20 or $30 I think.

Which is why I said I'm waiting for the final release to buy.

There is no big payoff for getting in early on an alpha like this. People who really want to are more than welcome to. This isn't rocket science. And no one is twisting anyone's arm to make them buy in now. It's by choice.
Well there's probably 2 main types of people pre-ordering. One is the "zomg I can't wait another minute, I must play this game nao". They are going to be disappointed at this stage, and they are probably the ones who will be discouraged by the $90 price.
The other category would be people who think "man, this looks like it could be great, I want to be a part of that and make sure it really is, help find all the problems". That category won't have a problem as much of a problem with an incomplete test version, and is the ones the devs want to have. Their payoff is to help make the game the best it can be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo