Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Financials

Ubisoft announces the release of financial results (Adobe Acrobat format) for their fiscal year 2013, saying their numbers for the year are "at the upper end of the recently-raised target ranges." They report annual sales are up 18% to €1,256 million and non-IFRS operating income is up 79% to €100 million. The results include perspective from Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot:

"In 2012-13 our financial performance outstripped the targets that we had announced a year ago, notably with non-IFRS operating income up 79% and higher-than-expected cash generation. The expertise and talent of our teams enabled Ubisoft to manage the year’s difficult market conditions and the drop in the casual segment remarkably well. In addition, the success of Far Cry 3 confirmed our strong comeback in the major segment of shooter games.” Guillemot continued "We began fiscal 2012-13 with two major franchises: Assassin’s Creed and Just Dance. Twelve months later, we have substantially extended our reach by establishing Far Cry as another major franchise, building upon the great potential for our newest brand, Watch Dogs, and making our online/digital segment an increasingly significant part of our business. The steady rise in our operating and financial performance during the last three years is the direct result of the longterm investments we have made, with the continued development of our creative capacity and the bolstering of our expertise in online activities.”

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

55. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 19, 2013, 17:59 Jerykk

It's true that if Sleeping Dogs didn't require Steam and didn't have any integrated auto-update system, you could play without patching. But again, the only reason you don't want to patch is because the patches are so huge and the only reason they're so huge is because the developers put the DLC into them. The root of the issue is the poor DLC implementation, not automatic updates. It has nothing to do with Steam. Even if Sleeping Dogs had no DRM, the DLC would still be included in the patches and the patches would still be huge. Yes, you'd be able to play the game without patching but then you'd miss out on the numerous fixes and improvements the patches provide.

On a side note, I think the reason you couldn't play Sleeping Dogs was because you had already begun updating it before switching to offline mode. The game was already partially updated so it needed to finish updating, otherwise it would just be broken. If you had immediately switched to offline mode after first installing the game, I think you would have been able to play without downloading any patches.

I would like to see a poll of Steam users to see the actual satisfaction rating. Steam has a lot of points that seem like that's a good idea until... you want to do something that counters it.

If people were unsatisfied with Steam, it wouldn't be the most popular digital distribution platform. When Steam came out, everyone hated it and the only games that required Steam were Valve's games. Over time, more and more publishers started adopting Steamworks because consumers requested it. Steam is successful because people choose to use it, not because they are forced to.

How many free services are great ideas and convenient, everyone uses it then one day the company dedcides to do something it's users don't want like start charging for things... There will be a price to pay later for all this convenience I strongly believe as it happens all the time.

If we were talking about Microsoft, you'd have a fair point. But we're talking about Valve. When has Valve ever charged for something that was previously free? Hell, Valve provides more free content and services than any other company. There's no precedent for them trying to exploit customers so there's no logical reason to expect them to suddenly start doing so.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2013, 18:04.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo