Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit

Perhaps inevitably, SEGA and Gearbox Software are named as defendants in a lawsuit over Aliens: Colonial Marines, the movie-based first-person shooter that met with a good deal of discontent after its recent release (thanks durandal). Polygon reports the suit was filed in the Northern District of California court by law firm Edelson LLC on behalf of plaintiff Damion Perrine, saying the game was falsely advertised. SEGA Europe has already received a scolding over how the visuals in the game did not live up to what was shown in prerelease trailers, and now this is being taken to the courts in the U.S. They offer the following excerpt from the court papers:

"Each of the 'actual gameplay' demonstrations purported to show consumers exactly what they would be buying: a cutting edge video game with very specific features and qualities," the claim reads. "Unfortunately for their fans, Defendants never told anyone — consumers, industry critics, reviewers, or reporters — that their 'actual gameplay' demonstration advertising campaign bore little resemblance to the retail product that would eventually be sold to a large community of unwitting purchasers."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

60. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 2, 2013, 01:36 Prez

Dev wrote on May 1, 2013, 23:41:
Prez wrote on May 1, 2013, 22:06:
Lawyers love class action lawsuits - they get rich off them while the claimants get shit. Therefore I will NEVER be a part of one. As far as this lawsuit goes, it seems pretty stupid to me. Buyer beware and all that.
Many times you are automatically part of one unless you opt out.

I'm curious, do you opt out of those mailings that sometimes come that say you are in the class of such and such suit, and that they are being settled?

For instance, that buy.com suit about the "original" internet price mistake, they sent out I think $90 checks over that. Anyone who bought that monitor was automatically part of that class action suit unless they specifically opted out.

There was recent a dell california settlement where they charged tax on things they weren't supposed to tax, so the california state tax board was going to refund some tax back to consumers. Would you have opted out of a bonus tax refund on a settlement like that thats coming from the state? I got mailings about over $100 to be refunded to me.

In each of these kinda class action settlements, they usually mail out stuff saying that you can opt out (generally so one can sue on their own instead of being part of the settlement), or you can remain silent and get the settlement proceeds.

These are probably rare examples where claimants actually got something worthwhile, but I'm still wondering about what you mean. Do you mean no active participating with you going to lawyers? Do you mean you won't even take automatic settlements where they mail you a check? Do you mean you sent out a snail mail letter to opt out of those things in the mail?

Just some random thoughts, and wondering if you could elucidate

I think I got a mailer once back when there was supposed to be some suit brought against the music industry for price gouging on cd's, but other than that I don't remember any. I know I certainly never got a check mailed to me for being part of any suit, willfully or otherwise. Generally I will not actively allow my name be used in any suit that is just going to make lawyers rich(er), though I can't say with 100% certainty my name has been tagged onto one here or there because I failed to opt out since I spend a lot of time drunk, high, or otherwise oblivious.

I tend to be very anti-litigious anyway; many of the lawsuits I see brought to court make me sick. Our system was never intended to be used in the manner in which it is abused nowadays thanks to unscrupulous blood-sucking lawyers and bottom-feeding greedy bastards who are just looking for their free ride. I would opt out of anything related to the sort of crap in this lawsuit against Sega since it seems altogether frivolous to even bring one over a goddamn videogame.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2013, 01:45.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo