Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The guys finally came to check out the furnace yesterday, which was welcome because it was down to 59 degrees in the house, which is not a hardship compared with some recent horror stories of storms leaving people with no heat in the dead of winter, but still not so much fun. The boiler is close to 35 years old, so the good news is that it still has some life in it, and it just needed a little tweaking to get going again. What's odd is that there seemed to be two simultaneous problems: A valve was stuck so there was no water pressure in the tank, and there was some dirt preventing the pilot from firing. The weird part is we are told that a unit this old has no failsafe against firing without any water to boil, which would end up ruining the furnace, so we are to believe that the pilot coincidentally went flaky just in time when the water stopped flowing to prevent such a scenario. That's certainly a weird coincidence, but the guy who told us this has loads of experience in the field, and this simple job involved charging us for just a one-hour service call, so it's not like he was trying to sell me on something, so I have no reason not to believe him.

Warm Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Clowns in the Face.
Stories: 'Futurama' not renewed.
NYC proposes raising age for cigarette purchases.
Media: "Thor: The Dark World" First Trailer. Thanks nin.
All teeth pulled instead of 3! Crazy dentist. Never use a dentist with OCD.
"Get Lucky" Michael Jackson edit. Thanks nin.
Auction: You Can Buy the Leica That Captured the Iconic Kiss in Times Square Picture.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 23, 2013, 13:28 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:54:
I remember when I was younger we used to say chesterfield all the time but now everyone just says couch or sofa.
Don't recall ever hearing this prior to now. If you had ended the sentence at "time" -- I wouldn't have had a clue what you were talking about. I figured I was pretty much the oldest guy haunting this place, maybe not...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo