Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Beware the ides of April, as it's tax deadline day here in the U.S. (except in Massachusetts where it's patriotic to pay your state taxes a day late, though federal returns are still due today). Today is also Jackie Robinson day in Major League Baseball, were teams will celebrate the civil rights pioneer by having all players wear Robinson's retired number 42, making Mariano Rivera the only player in the league who won't need a special uniform (his use of #42 was grandfathered when the number was retired).

R.I.P.: Nick Pollotta. Thanks TheCaretaker.
R.I.P.: Former US Rep. Charlie Wilson of Ohio dies at 70. Different Rep. Charlie Wilson.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ghost Hacker 2.
Links: Tax Day Freebies. Thanks HARDOCP.
HOWTO spin a toothbrush on your finger. Live the dream.
A real Myst book. Thanks reddit.
Stories: Financial crisis caused by too many bankers taking cocaine, says former drugs tsar.
Amazing dad builds son a spaceship simulator. Thanks HARDOCP.
Some states dropping GED as test price spikes.
Science: Implantable, bioengineered rat kidney. Yum.
Bordeaux estate to turn carbon emissions into toothpaste.
New F-1B rocket engine upgrades Apollo-era design with 1.8M lbs of thrust.
Gallery: Behind the scenes at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center.
Media: Louis CK - Stupid Facebook Posts. NSFW.
Game Sack - Gaming on a Budget.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

59. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2013, 00:29 wraithnix

Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 21:19:
Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:54:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 14:39:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 13:14:
Oh noes, the GED is going computerized and now 21 year old mothers of three can't imagine passing because they may have to *gasp* use a computer to take the test!

Newsflash, bitch! If you can't use a computer at 21 in 2013, you would never have passed high school to begin with. Hence, you don't deserve to pass an equivalency test. Equivalent. Look it up. High school kids all know basic computer skills by the time they graduate. (Or should, anyway.) If you don't have those skills, you do not have the EQUIVALENT skills of a high school graduate and shouldn't be able to pass the damn test anyway.

Wow, dude. Way to show some compassion for someone in hard straights doing their best for self-improvement so they can be a working, productive member of society. And even while computers are cheap and widespread, getting connected to the internet can be a huge problem.

Yup.

Let's be honest, there are plenty of school systems out there without computer programs or, in some cases, solid access to computers for their students, period.

And plenty of students that don't have access to computers in their homes, anyway. It's not something you can expect everyone to have, either. I mean, hell, the government years ago tried making phones something everyone should expect by giving access to those that couldn't otherwise afford it and it's mocked by several people on this site, let alone in the rest of the internet (see: Obamaphone, a program that predates Obama and has nothing to do with him yet is still repeated by a handful of members here at least once a month.)
Until there's a program allowing those living below the poverty line to have computers, you can't really expect them to know how to use them. Sure, there are programs out there to teach computer literacy for free at unemployment centers, but rural areas often don't have, you know, unemployment centers.

My heart bleeds. Truly. I grew up in a rural farm town. We had computers IN THE 80S. My business is in a small town surrounded by farms. All 3 area schools have computers. My wife taught inner city kids in 2 states, all of the poor schools STILL HAD COMPUTERS. Maybe if people didn't completely ignore everyone telling them not to drop out of school, they wouldn't make this life altering, big time mistake. But they do. And I don't have sympathy. Life's hard. Suck it up and rectify your mistakes or not, but don't expect the world to cry for your self-inflicted misfortune.

And rural areas? The whiny woman in the story is from KC. If you read the story, she is where she is because she decided to get knocked up 3 times before she was 21. Sucks. To. Be. You.

And let's be honest, even with a GED you are pretty much screwed unless you go on to college. A place where you need to know how to use a PC.

<sarcasm>Yeah, make a mistake, make a few mistakes, and fuck you. You don't deserve anything but what you get. Trying to better yourself and being held back by poverty or, well, anything else? Fuck off. You don't deserve to be able to better yourself. You don't deserve anything. In fact, you SHOULD be held back. Can't afford a computer? Fuck you. Can't afford an Internet connection? Fuck you. Can't afford a car to get someplace with an Internet connection and a computer? Fuck you.</sarcasm>

I'm glad you lived in a rural area that had computers. There are many, many, MANY places in this country that are not so fortunate. Hell, if you drive an hour away from my house, there are places in the mountains where you can't get any kind of Internet connection, so being able to afford a computer (which, many of the people in those communities are too poor to do) wouldn't help. And don't tell me "they can move". If you can't afford a computer and an Internet connection, do you think that they can afford to move?

Jesus, man, have some compassion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo